Wood I.D. Please (experts only!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jpl1nh said:
Another name for banyon tree is strangler fig. By either name it's in the ficus family, most likely ficus nitida. They get the name strangler fig because they often start growing as an epiphyte, meaning they are growing off the ground, up in the forest canopy. The seeds germinate in the duff that collects in the crotches of trees. The young plant quickly will send down air roots which contract when they touch the ground firmly anchoring the young plant in place and creating a vital water and nutrient supply from the soil. As the tree matures, it can send down so many air roots which become so massive that they end up literally strangling the original host tree leaving the ficus in its place often with the appearance of being suspended on lots of stilts. Like any wood, ficus burns but its comparable to a softwood. Like its close relative the rubber tree, its sap has a very high latex component.

'think we found an expert......

Actually I've been holding back here..........it's a dead wood tree

Der Fiur Meister said:
Superlite said:
..... They can actually move across the ground, albeit slowly.....

'think maybe you've had too much birch beer.....

LOL that's eggsactly what I was thinkin'! That's the tree from the Wiz of Oz which has branches that can hold you and moves slowly across the ground!! :)

Ray

Summertime said:
BrianW said:
It looks like a Banyan tree to me. Does it have numerous roots that extend to the ground, - forming new trunks? Thats how it appears in the photo. Banyan's are a tropical tree... you said south.... how south????

Brian

I believe you may be correct, I was very south in Costa Rica and instantly thought of the Hearth when I saw this tree, The vines grow down and reroot themselves.
I am surprised that you guys guessed the tree so soon!!

Below is another enormous tree I saw down there.

I wish I had access to a tropical rain forest that I could clear and burn in my insert! Who needs all that pesky oxygen anyway? :lol:

raybonz said:
Der Fiur Meister said:
Superlite said:
..... They can actually move across the ground, albeit slowly.....

'think maybe you've had too much birch beer.....

LOL that's eggsactly what I was thinkin'! That's the tree from the Wiz of Oz which has branches that can hold you and moves slowly across the ground!! :)

Ray

There is a Banyan Tree in Hawaii that covers 2/3 of an acre, that is two thirds of an acre which is 14,520 square feet. Maybe "Move across the ground" was not the best term. But they do spread "across the ground". Because of they way they grow, If part of the tree dies, and the other continues to live....

In my expert opinion that one ugly tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.