Wood ID and seasoning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
My wood guy dropped off this. What wood is this and how long does it need to get seasoned?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 493
Really bad pic. First thought would be hickory.

Jotul Rockland - CT said:
My wood guy dropped off this. What wood is this and how long does it need to get seasoned?

Dont know the type of wood, but seasoning time will still depend on what size of splits you will make out of them and how and where your wood is stored. All big factors. As it sits, give or take 4yrs if rot is not a problem with that species.

Looks red oaky to me, but the pic isn't that great.

My first thought was red oak also, but the picture on my monitor is a little orange.

Red Oak
Depends on size of split and how ya store it.
no less than 18 months or sizzle, sizzle steam bath.
You can get away mixing with other dry splits.

WB

[quote author="Jotul Rockland - CT" date="1310448141"]I told him not to drop off Oak.

[/quote

That's what he did!

Red Oak +3

looks like red oak to me.

I told him not to drop off Oak.

https://picasaweb.google.com/venkateshd/Wood?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_Old-Jqu3kYA

Hope these pics are better

Why didn't you ask "him" to tell you what it is? That'd shorten-up your learning curve; you'll want to work on becoming familiar with local species at some time, since that's very useful information for guiding your choice of [what-to-grab-for-stove-now].

From your latest pictures, I see sugar maple and norway maple.

The process you inquire about is "lumber drying"- "seasoning" is meaningless unless you are a chef. DAGS on "lumber drying" sans quotes, and you'll cut right to the chase. This is a very important topic to the lumber industry, which researches it much more rigorously than any suburban fuelwood consumers. Enjoy.

Split a piece and post a pic of the grain.

Hard to tell, I agree, but I'm going to go against the "grain" here and say it looks like Maple to me. Those dark inclusions, which you also find in Hickory, just say "Maple"...couldn't be sure of sub-species.

Thank you guys. I have red oak and this seems different. There are similarities in the bark but the heartwood seems a lot smoother. My splitter is out of commission - I'll post a picture after the splitter is fixed.

I asked him to drop of wood only if

Species
Osage Orange
Shagbark Hickory
Eastern Hornbeam
Black Birch
Black Locust
Blue Beech
Ironwood
Bitternut Hickory
Honey Locust
Apple
Mulberry

I'll also ask him - he's not very good in responding to emails. But he's great at dropping of wood! He's the best.

I am thinking red oak that was cut a long time ago. The Red color will fade as it dries. Bark looks Red Oak.

That is Red Oak. The bark has shiny raised ridges, and I think I can see medullary rays (diagnostic for oak) when I zoom in on the picasa pictures. it looks like it has been dead a while, since some pieces are free of bark. It should have a distinctive oak smell.

Red oak for sure but I can understand why some think it is maple.

Backwoods Savage said:
Red oak for sure but I can understand why some think it is maple.

Normally you see that distinctive heartwood color on red oak that isn't there- but that could be from age.

I don't see Norway maple though- larger ones have raised ridges on the bark, approaching those on white ash.

In the second group of photos you have quite a mix of species. R. Oak, Soft Maple, and Ash for sure.

Thank you guys. I have red oak and this seems different. There are similarities in the bark but the heartwood seems a lot smoother. My splitter is out of commission - I'll post a picture after the splitter is fixed.

I asked him to drop of wood only if

Species
Osage Orange
Shagbark Hickory
Eastern Hornbeam
Black Birch
Black Locust
Blue Beech
Ironwood
Bitternut Hickory
Honey Locust
Apple
Mulberry

I'll also ask him - he's not very good in responding to emails. But he's great at dropping of wood! He's the best.

In your other pics, I see Sugar Maple and what looks like either Ash or Norway Maple.
If your behind this year and you can be selective at what he drops off, I'd beg for Ash and Cherry.
Even Hickory and Sugar Maple take forever to season long enough for picky EPA stoves.
I myself would take the Red Oak and Just keep it for next year and just weed out the pile.

GoodLuck
WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.