Season wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How long do you let your wood season for before you burn it in your wood burning stove.
Until it's 20% or below. That varies by species how I split it how I stack it if it was cut standing dead etc. So anywhere from one summer to 3 years

Reactions: Itslay90
Until it's 20% or below. That varies by species how I split it how I stack it if it was cut standing dead etc. So anywhere from one summer to 3 years
Sounds good. I have a lot of maple and ash, that been sitting for a 2years. So I’m going to burn that this year

What type of firewood you usually burn ?
Living where I live typically oak but anything that needs cut goes through my stove. S
Elm and poplar are about the only ones I won't bother with

For me its about a year and half and if i have like a half stack of wood ill restock it let it season from apr till about oct/nov and go from that stack

Keep in mind smaller splits dry faster. If you're looking to get wet wood ready in a hurry, split it smaller. If you have the luxury of time, the larger splits burn longer (and more controlled).

Last edited:
Buy yourself a Moisture Metter.
The only way you will know at a glance
whether your wood is below 20%
Amazon has fairly good ones at a decent price
Good enough for firewood

Sounds good. I have a lot of maple and ash, that been sitting for a 2years. So I’m going to burn that this year
If it’s been split and stacked for 2yrs that great. If it’s been sitting around in rounds especially on the ground, it won’t be dry this year.