Wood Id (cottonwood)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buddythehuman

Jan 10, 2017
des moines
Got this stuff for free from a guy's yard. It's pretty easy to split, just need some help identifying. Trying to figure if its shoulder season wood or below 10 wood. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 228
Yes black walnut. I give it 2 years to dry but can be used after 1 if needed. I use it when the temps are around 20 and above - splits EASY , burns good - smells good- leaves a lot of white fluffy ash. The ash for me is the only thing I do not like about burning it.

Reactions: Firefighter938
I like to split away the white leaving big chunks of dark reddish wood. Seasoned a few years and it burns great. I think the white wood creates the ash

I like walnut as firewood although I know many people who don't. It isn't in the same league as oak or locust, but is as good as cherry. It dries fairly quickly. As others have said, it creates a lot of light ash. I've never tried just burning the heartwood.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I agree, black walnut. When loaded onto hot coals, it will let off a cool blue/purple flame.

Wow. From cottonwood to black walnut. Nice score.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
I'm stoked to hear this is walnut. I thought it may be ash at first from the bark. Then I cut it. And saw a bunch of cottonwood leaves under it. Tried to google cottonwood but came up blank. Once I split it, the smell was nearly unmistakably walnut, but there were no walnuts under it. Glad to get some other opinions. So yes, stoked that I have a much better burning wood!

Coolz!!
I have some of that too in the scrounged mixture.
Didn't know specifically what it was other than splitting properties
and a straight grain.

You do know that you could have sold it for lumber and bought firewood?

It would t have fetched too much on the market for me. It wasn't very thick at the trunk (only about 13". I sold a 22" thick walnut for only like $200 earlier this year.

I have about 3 cords of it, its pretty good stuff, lights easy. As others said, it leaves big fluffy ash but I dont see it as a negative really.

i did the same thing the other day, thought it was cottonwood, but it was walnut! i've got it about 1/2 split right now, and then the snow came down. standing dead, 2+ years, and I was getting 54% MC on the heartwood....

Got this stuff for free from a guy's yard. It's pretty easy to split, just need some help identifying. Trying to figure if its shoulder season wood or below 10 wood. Thanks for the help.
Black walnut. If it were cottonwood, it would not be easy to split.