Wood ID: Could the property owner be wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Black Ash. I thought the bark looked like it before and now that I’ve seen a piece of the heartwood fall out I think it really is Black Ash. How many rings do you think a 20" round has? Black Ash is a slow grower up here but our summers are short. Up here I’ve seen 150 rings on a 20" round. I’ll take some photos of Black Ash trees around here and post them so you compare the bark of your first photos you posted. Give me a few days....

Reactions: saewoody
It's Willow. Definately not Soft maple or Hickory!

You don’t think this stuff looks the same as the stuff Jseery posted? I believe you called that pignut hickory. Looks very similar to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0C223774-8105-4946-8F21-EDF112949EA7.jpeg
840E422E-E2DE-4B2A-8E17-41D8FBA66413.jpeg
Here’s the bark from a Black Ash on our road. And I’ll post a photo of a BA that I cut cut up too.

It's Willow. Definately not Soft maple or Hickory!

This is what I was thinking, too. The photo where it looks like it is 'crumbling/falling apart' says it is a light wood. Also, willow likes to grow next to water. If the rounds split very easy and the wood is light it is probably willow. It is a lower btu firewood.

definitely not hickory or maple.

I still think black willow. a second guess would be cottonwood.

You don’t think this stuff looks the same as the stuff Jseery posted? I believe you called that pignut hickory. Looks very similar to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No this is not the same stuff.

Too strait for Black Willow. BW is an obligate. It only grows willingly literally right on a stream bank, at least in these parts (mid-Atlantic). Black Ash would be more correct I believe. Also typically grows very close to the ground. Kevin.