Wood ID... Have I never split sugar maple before...?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NickW

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
I am splitting the "sugar maple" from a tree service drop. Obviously the cherry was easy to distinguish. There are at least 2 species that are the "sugar maple" though. I segregate by similar woods when stacking. The reddish stuff splits more like oak but smells like elm. The bark on the maple looks like sugar maple but smells like silver maple... See pics and give opinions please.

IMG_20220604_102138.jpg IMG_20220604_102202.jpg IMG_20220604_102349.jpg IMG_20220604_102354.jpg IMG_20220604_102326.jpg IMG_20220604_102332.jpg

The maple is also very straight grained. Silver maple in my experience has not been very straight...

In the first photo of logs I think I'm seeing red maple.

Reactions: NickW
If all of my wood was maple, like the one (I assume) on the right, I probably wouldn't consider buying a wood splitter, It's so easy to split - as stated maple being typically straight grained being the reason,

And then in my load of "all sugar maple and cherry" I hit an elm log... Good firewood, usually bad splitting. This particular one really wasn't too bad. Like I said in the original post it was splitting more like oak at first, then I hit some more typical elm like stringyness...

I had dropped an odd sugar maple this spring and bucked most of it in place. It had a big twist in it and obviously had grown up under a mature canopy. I just got around to splitting it after about 3 months. It was miserable stuff, dense grain with a major twist in every piece. I could hear the splitter drop to the second stage on every split and most splits did not go clean. Normally I hand split maple in the woods but this one was a real weird one. I had a couple of other maples that split easy. I do find that when they get big and old, they also can be a handful.

Looks like red maple to me. The only thing it's missing is the blotch like malting on the rounds, but, thats usually in older trees this one could be young. I'm tragically low on cherry sadly. It dries so fast, smells great, and works well to cut oak loads for not super cold days.

It's on the softer side for hardwood but it's good wood, I burn a ton of it here. I used it almost exclusively last year. This year I'm ready to start dipping into my oak so the red maple will have more of a shoulder season or cut the oak type role.

In the first pic, does mostly look like sugar maple bark. Last pic is red maple.