Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
So a couple houses down from my parents house they had a tree cut down. I noticed it yesterday and thought it was Ash. I love ash. Splits easy, drys fast, burns nice. Got there this morning and could not split anything with my fiskers. If I worked the heck out of it I could split off the very edges. It was very very soft and very very wet.

Any one with ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1691[1].JPG
    IMG_1691[1].JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1693[1].JPG
    IMG_1693[1].JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 314
I am think-in cottonwood. o_O

Reactions: nrford
Any leaves (star-shaped), or fruit (gum balls) still on site ? If so, probably sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) - tough splitting.
If so I'd pass on the wood.

I did not see any but I know there are other sweet gums in the area..... Thanks for the responses.

Edit- just looked at pics. Definitely Cottonwood!

It looked like cottonwood to me too. Cottonwood should have split fairly easy.

Just soo wet my fiskers just sunk in.

If you are not in dire need for wood I would pass on it, maybe take some of it if you feel like busting your butt but otherwise I'd say "no thanks!"

I was going to say the same as Cincy. I got a bed load of cottonwood last fall. It is very wet and heavy when green but then dries up almost as light as balsa wood. It splits easily but not straight. It will often crack off 2/3 into the split.

Is the wood very fibrous? Then it might be something like sweetgum.