Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildwoods

Feb 13, 2020
South Jersey
If this is the wrong form please relocate. When I picked this up I thought it was Black oak but it's definitely not. I've split a lot of oak and I'm pretty sure this is a maple of some sort silver perhaps, any help be appreciated.
I'm in Southern New Jersey

IMG_20220225_204252.jpg IMG_20220225_204312.jpg IMG_20220225_204320.jpg IMG_20220225_204332.jpg

Looks like hickory to me. Hickory is so hard to split that I can't split it with a maul.

My first thought was also Norway (not typical, little punky). I don't know hickory.

it maybe maple..... everytime ive dealt with white and green ash ot seemed to be pretty clean split now i havent really dealt with black or blue ash before

I cut some wood that looked like that last year. It was actually a tree in amongst some ash, and until I cut into the tree with my chainsaw I thought it was an ash. I believe in my case it’s hickory. I found some hickory looking nuts nearby.