Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

littleuing

Jan 14, 2014
PA
Saw someone giving away this wood. Think I'll be going to get it Saturday. Any idea what it is? They don't know and I can't tell from the picture.

Screenshot_20220922-134645_Facebook.jpg

Wow, that was my first though and what I told my brother I though it was. But I haven't seen enough ash to know for sure. I mainly end up with cherry, locust, and maple. I'm hoping we are both right because the one time I had almost 1 cord of ash it was some of my favorite wood. It coaled really nice was easy to start and burned for a decent amount of time. When I ran out and only had maple left, I was really missing the ash.

From that distance 1- ash (its down all over) 2 Norway maple (similar in appearance) 3 poplar ( if it has a hint of green in the center of the round and white in the crevices of the bark.

Good to know. Any idea how I can tell the difference when I get there? Assuming tulip popular is lighter.
Yes tulip poplar is pretty light, and there will be a notable difference between sapwood and heartwood. Poplar usually has a cream or tan colored sapwood with a greenish heartwood, but sometimes the heartwood can be dark brown or purple as well. Whereas Ash will usually be the same color throughout.

First thought poplar/tulip, second basswood, third ash (mighty big for ash).

First thought poplar/tulip, second basswood, third ash (mighty big for ash).
Diaebl that tree is a far size but I have some ash on my bush lot that makes that one look small
and I am not far from you
It looks like ash to me

Reactions: Diabel
I definitely see the 'ashyness' to it. But the scale seems off to me. Seems like the furrows are too big and bark too thick for what I perceive the diameter to be. My next thought was actually cottonwood, but the furrows seem a bit small and bark too thin for that!

Around here cottonwood gets called 'ash' a lot, and 'locust' some, too. Though I think that is mainly people just trying to get rid of it!

Let us know what you find! Either way, should be some burnable wood!

Diaebl that tree is a far size but I have some ash on my bush lot that makes that one look small
and I am not far from you
It looks like ash to me
Hi John, for his benefit I hope is ash. Assume your summer was good?

Remember ash will have opposite branching habit.
Tulip-poplar, basswood and cottonwood are alternate.
(Looks like ash to me - my guess is ash.)

Also want to add that with my 18 inch bar it was about 2-4 inches from cuttingnthe whole way across so roughly 20-22 inches. There are next to no branches and is very straight. I have never run into such a straight tree and the size also doesnt apear to change much. Which from what I have heard points to tulip poplar for more of an identical size up the trunk and being so straight. I am not good at identifying trees by bark or grain with no branches or leaves to go off of. I'm still not sure what it is. However most of the bark is falling off as I cut and move it. They said its been down for 1.5 years and they have no idea what it was. The few times I have seen ash it always has the D shaped holes in it which makes it easy. This stuff only a few pieces I noticed small holes under the bark but they looked like little pin holes. I assume that when I do eventually burn it I will be able to tell the diffrence.

Tough to tell. Some what punky. The bark isn't falling off? Not seeing trials in the wood under the bark?

Not seeing trials in the wood under the bark?
If this is an Ash it may have died before being infected with EAB
So there would be no trials under the bark. I could be wrong but
I have lots of ash with no trials