Wood ID if you please....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I think I know what this wood is or what my farmer friend says it is, but would like more opinions on it if you would.

Thanks
Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 182_450_600.jpg
    hert lane 182_450_600.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 603
  • hert lane 181_450_600.jpg
    hert lane 181_450_600.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 613
  • hert lane 183_450_600.jpg
    hert lane 183_450_600.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 590
Is that soft maple?

Zap

Thats an Indiana silver maple tree will eat 2 gernads on this one! 12-15 years old more than likely this tree has been top!

The bark looks like some sugar maple I had, but the grains are nowhere near as twisted. How is it splitting?

useoilsparingLEE said:
Albino Oak MMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMM!
White that is!
DING DING, that is what my farmer buddy said and I was hoping that is what it was. I have been cutting it in the field after my next door neighbor had his land logged. Now all I look for is shag bark and white oak for now.

Thanks
Shipper

Shipper50 said:
useoilsparingLEE said:
White that is!
DING DING, that is what my farmer buddy said and I was hoping that is what it was. I have been cutting it in the field after my next door neighbor had his land logged. Now all I look for is shag bark and white oak for now.

Thanks
Shipper
if thats white oak I have a bunch of it

smokinj said:
Thats an Indiana silver maple tree will eat 2 gernads on this one! 12-15 years old more than likely this tree has been top!
I have 2 opinions on it being white oak and it splits easy in the field with my maul and chopper axe. And yes its a top from the land that was logged earlier this year.

Shipper

useoilsparingLEE said:
White that is!

Great call pyro.

Zap

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
I have 2 opinions on it being white oak and it splits easy in the field with my maul and chopper axe. And yes its a top from the land that was logged earlier this year.

Shipper
then I have a bunch of oak thats for sure, silver maple eazy to splitt if its oak its going to be very heavy even in small splits.

I was thinking maple, but Lee very well could be right. If it's white oak you should be able to tell just by smelling it.

Wet1 said:
I was thinking maple, but Lee very well could be right. If it's white oak you should be able to tell just by smelling it.
yep you can smell a pile of oak from a good distance! the size of those splitt would be hard to handle if its oak and the only thing I can think of after doing oak is man that things heavy! arms even lock up like I have artistes (Lee the best at "Id's" of tree's for sure) sure would make my piles worth alot more

smokinj said:

What exactly is a Gernad??

Werm said:
smokinj said:

What exactly is a Gernad??
its a 4 sided wedge

Looks just like the white oak we split around here. Good stuff. Bit stringer than the red oak, though.

Shipper50 said:
useoilsparingLEE said:
White that is!

Thanks
Shipper

That sure doesn't look anything like the White Oak we get out here on the West Coast.......!

NP

White Oak is my second choice next to Hickory in the middle of Jan.
Even without the bark, the grain is totally different than Red Oak.
Season those chunks for at least 18 months.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

The wood was logged in Feb, and March of this year and was lying unbucked till this last week or so. Its starting to show checks even now. I was planning on burning it next winter if I don't run short this year.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

The wood was logged in Feb, and March of this year and was lying unbucked till this last week or so. Its starting to show checks even now. I was planning on burning it next winter if I don't run short this year.

Shipper

In June 2008 we almost got a full grapple load of White Oak, I will almost burn it exclusively with some Hickory come single digit temps this winter.
Nice pictures btw, what a perfect sample of White Oak bark. PM me, as I am gathering nice Wood ID pictures......I will give you my personal email.

Here is my website I am starting-----> http://www.bhamiltonstudios.com/woodbutcher.htm

WoodButcher

The bark looks just like the white oak I have been cutting here it CT. Do you have a pick of the rings. Maple is difuse porous and Oak is ring porous. The rings look different. Long story short the wood is the same throughout the year of growth in difuse porous woods. Most hardwood trees are ring porous and you have softer earlywood and the later and harder summer wood. You can sometimes see the two rings within the one growth year. Maple is a lot different as it has the same wood throughout the growing season. Something else to look for.

I may be wrong, but aren't the visible medulla rays specific to Oak? I tend to always identify oak this way when it's stacked or without bark.

Wet1 said:

Good point about the smell. I split a bunch of oak last year and everytime I walked by it I almost gagged because it smelled like cheap Chardonnay!

Status
Not open for further replies.