Wood ID if you please....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CTburns said:
Wet1 said:
I was thinking maple, but Lee very well could be right. If it's white oak you should be able to tell just by smelling it.

Good point about the smell. I split a bunch of oak last year and everytime I walked by it I almost gagged because it smelled like cheap Chardonnay!
Gag? That's the smell of "fine wine" my friend! :coolsmile:

The bark looks like the White Oak (quercus alba) that grows in the east. As far as I know, the species doesn't occur in the west, although there are other oaks out west that are in the white oak group and, as a group, they are called 'white oak.' My guess is White Oak.

Had to chime in here while it has been positively ID'd as white oak. I stepped out front and snapped some shots of a large white oak. First is base of mature tree, second is tops of main branches(bark begins to flake), third is red and white side by side I topped thi past spring and left poles to stand until some cooler weather, fourth is what is my pile o' hickory

Attachments

• whiteoakbase0002.jpg
    whiteoakbase0002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 196
Shipper50 said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
White Oak is my second choice next to Hickory in the middle of Jan.
Even without the bark, the grain is totally different than Red Oak.
Season those chunks for at least 18 months.

WoodButcher

The wood was logged in Feb, and March of this year and was lying unbucked till this last week or so. Its starting to show checks even now. I was planning on burning it next winter if I don't run short this year.

Shipper

This tells the story If there logging it! Its white oak and sure looks like maple. salt pepper please!

sorry clicked submit instead of preview heres 2,3,4

Attachments

• whiteoakbase0003.jpg
    whiteoakbase0003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 190
  • whiteoakbase0004.jpg
    whiteoakbase0004.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 192
  • whiteoakbase0006.jpg
    whiteoakbase0006.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 206
smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

The wood was logged in Feb, and March of this year and was lying unbucked till this last week or so. Its starting to show checks even now. I was planning on burning it next winter if I don't run short this year.

Shipper

This tells the story If there logging it! Its white oak and sure looks like maple. salt pepper please!
Would that be for the Crow? ;-)

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Shipper

Would that be for the Crow? ;-)

Shipper

Yes sir! you set me up lol that would have been good info to have up front.. I will eat the whole pie!!!!!!!!

I knew when lee called it oak I could be in trouble darn that still looks like maple to me....

My first instinct was oak because of the grain pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.