Wood ID needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMule

Nov 11, 2013
Maryland
This tree fell back in the creek valley behind the house. It won't be easy to harvest if it's good stuff. If it's not, I'll just buck it up and clear it off to the side as it's in my deer hunting clearing.

IMG_6319.jpg
IMG_6320.jpg
IMG_6330.jpg
IMG_6331.jpg
IMG_6332.jpg
IMG_6333.jpg

looks like willow , not that great for burning.

If it turns out to be Willow. Run for the hills. Just clear it unless you really need firewood. Willow is a pain.

Willow, like weeping willow? When this was upright and alive it wasn't that. Had leaves similar in shape to a Hickory, but thinner.

Split looks a little clean, maybe cause it's small, but the bark is dead on for American elm. Push on the bark, if it's slightly spungy that's what it is and isn't worth it IMO.

Looks like elm to me . . . but as I have told folks in the past I am much better at using leafs for identification purposes. I honestly like elm . . . but I have a hydraulic splitter which makes a huge difference in splitting it up.

I think it might be American Elm after browsing the internet. If it's elm, does the sapwood hold like oak or does it get punky and deterioriate like Hickory does? This tree was on the way out for the last four years. The pictures I posted are from one trunk, there's two other trunks laying on the ground that have one section that's obviously too far gone.

It doesn't hold like oak, but doesn't go like soft maple either. If the bark is off, the tree is dead and can be ready to burn due to the way it dies and cuts off the sapwood. With the bark on, it's not there yet, but if its already dying your length of time it can stay on the ground is considerably less than a live cut tree. Id cut and split mid trunk and check the moisture and punk level. Then decide.

I've cut standing dead elm and it was almost ready to burn right then, but I like to give it a year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.