Wood I'd please is this poplar ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodhog73

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2016
Somewhere cold !
Hello
First off I'm sorry no picture. My camera is broken.

I normally burn oak 100% of the time but have a bunch of logs that came my way but no one knows the type. I'm splitting them and they look like a softer wood. The cut to length logs are already over a year dry and they split like butter with a mail.

The wood is easy splitting , very stringy, very light in color white, very light weight, with red steaks inside that go with the grain.

Any idea ? Sorry I know I need a picture so don't throw me under the bus too badly. Appreciate any insight.

It's a soft wood just don't know what.

None of my poplar has red streaks but Box Elder does. Not to say that some poplar might have red, just not in mine.

A few rounds of what I'm pretty sure was black poplar I got from my neighbor were nearly white with a greenish tone towards the outside and more brownish-red in the heartwood. Also very stringy. The bark was thick, deeply furrowed, and tended to fall off in large pieces when I split the rounds.

They were shockingly easy to split, despite being heavy (green). It dried out quickly.

Does the fresh split have a sweet sort of smell to it? Poplar is also very wet on a fresh split.

None of my poplar has red streaks but Box Elder does. Not to say that some poplar might have red, just not in mine.

I looked up pictures of box elder split on google and sure enough it looks exactly like what I've got. So I'm pretty sure it's box elder .

I know nothing about box elder. The logs I have are only about 10 inches around at most so either this was a young tree or else elders don't get very large in diameter.

I'm guessing I have a couple cords worth of the stuff. Is it any good to burn ? It's over a year old already but looks fresh to me it doesn't look dry even in the slightest.

Sounds like boxelder, but boxelder isn't stringy normally. The more I read this forum the more I realize that the same wood species have slightly different characteristics in different regions of the country.

Box elder is a soft maple. It makes so so firewood but it must be dry. Fortunately it dries pretty fast when CSS and I think you'll find that it will burn well with a good wood like oak.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Status
Not open for further replies.