Wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
Looking at some property and it had a lot of young trees along with some older mature growth and I just wanted to make sure it was what I thought. I was thinking beech. It is some Pretty diverse property with maples, oaks, pines, hornbeam, and beech if I'm correct.

a5612135fa2e42799f3f5ec84f6ecac1.jpg59c17b0f79f3a295765507df1059a91b.jpg070394e9e83540486ab343d1970b7605.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am no expert but it looks like a poplar to me

Reactions: grizzlylmcewen
Poplar bark around here don't look like that, but that leaf does look like poplar. Bark looks more like beech or birch?

I was thinking birch but the one tree pictured was about 8" across and no peeling bark. There were a couple smaller birch 3" diameter about 50 yards away and were peeling. This is also in southern N.Y. Attached is another photo of the leaves in the area where I grabbed the other. The other leaves aren't quite as rounded.
9f6375068ecd6c3b76ba7ed6ab59e49e.jpg

Not beech or birch. That's a hybrid poplar. Dozens on my prop.

Looks like quaking aspen which I think is in the poplar family.

Poplar . . . aspen. No question. The bark and leaf are the give-aways . . . but you can also rub the bark and a talcum like powder may rub off . . . and if you take your fingernail and scratch the bark it may reveal a green layer right underneath the thin white exterior bark.

Beech looks quite different . . . both with the leaf and bark . . . but don't give up . . . tree identification is a learning process.

Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure figured that's why I would ask. There are a bunch clustered together only a few feet apart. It is one of the thicker parts of the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.