Wood ID please!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Suprachica79

Mar 22, 2017
Wolcott, CT
Hi everyone,
I just got a major score of wood from a neighbor who took a tree down. However, I just can't tell what type of wood it is. I saw what I thought were red oak leaves on the ground, which tells me this is wood that definitely won't be ready this year, but he was pretty convinced it was a maple and the oak leaves were from other trees on his property. If this is a soft maple, I have a prayer if using it this coming winter. The wood is wet from rain, not sure if that matters. Thanks for your help! He is taking down several confirmed oak trees so I want to keep the piles separate so I know what might be used this year.

IMG_3139.JPG
IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG

looks like maple to me.

Reactions: Lakeside
It's not oak.

Does look like red maple. Send some dry pics of splits.

def. soft maple! them black streak thingers on the end of the log/piece of wood is red maple spanworm. . . that's a dead give away

Interesting, I thought those were burn marks from the chainsaw lol shows how little I know at this point. So if I get this split and stacked in say, the next two weeks, can I pray for this wood to burn in December?

If you get it split and stacked it can be ready for Sept. I burn a lot of it but I hold mine 2 years. I put a couple pieces in the stove this spring that was split around Dec. and it did not have any steam too it, regular size splits. That was about 5 months seasoning through the winter.

If you get it split and stacked it can be ready for Sept. I burn a lot of it but I hold mine 2 years. I put a couple pieces in the stove this spring that was split around Dec. and it did not have any steam too it, regular size splits. That was about 5 months seasoning through the winter.

That is awesome news tigeroak. I was hoping for that, but really had no idea. I think conservatively I have 2 1/2 cords of it between my uncles tree and this tree, and I already have half a cord of maple seasoning from last August. I might be able to make it through my first heating season with just this haul alone and I know I have a lot more coming. Mostly oak, but probably another maple or two.

I'm saying silver maple. I have a bunch in my piles.
Thanks woody! And thanks to everyone who responded, certainly set me straight!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Soft maple. Either a norway or silver.
You mean either a soft maple or norway? ;)

I see dried Norway maple at 40lb/ft^3, sugar at 44 and red at 38, silver at 33 on some lumber sites. I don't think Norway is considered Hard or Soft.

Anyway, I think it is most likely red maple. The first picture has a lot of very typical smooth, barely broken bark. About 50% of my woods behind me. Look for a bunch of little red buds if it was cut recently. They are coating my porch and backyard.

By the way, anyone notice the twig on one of the logs with opposite branching? That's a definite giveaway. It's not ash.

-->Can you get a closeup pic of the bud? I have confirmed norway and red buds that I've got pictures of. Then we can ID the type of maple. If it has drooping red buds anywhere then you have a red. I'm not sure what silver looks like.

Interesting, I thought those were burn marks from the chainsaw lol shows how little I know at this point. So if I get this split and stacked in say, the next two weeks, can I pray for this wood to burn in December?
You can pray for anything. Why not for wood seasoning.