Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
webby3650 said:
Perhaps what I call red Elm is in fact Dutch Elm. It would certianly appear that red elm does exsist! Back to the point, that ain't Tulip.
Dutch Elm is a disease that wiped out nearly all of the American Elm trees in North America. It's caused by the Elm Bark Beetle.
There is no such thing as a Dutch Elm tree.
The only Elm we have around here is Slippery Elm although some people refer to it as Piss Elm. I don't see very many Slippery Elms, but I do see a lot of Hackberry trees which look a lot like Flms and are actually related. Hackberry is good firewood, but you know what? It has those stringy things on it and is difficult to split, just like Elm.
I'm not always right about identifying someone elses wood, but I definitely know what wood I have.
And yes, it is Tulip Tree. Some people call it Poplar, but it's actually in the Magnolia family.
You obviously know your trees. Wanna try again?

webby3650 said:
I sure hope we get the snow forcasted! I love the snow, it seems like they usually get us all geared up down here and nothing happens :coolgrin: It always seems to go north of us.
Be careful what you wish for, since I have moved down here from the Gary area I have found the people down here don't know how to drive on snow. And since there are many more hills that makes it that much worse. :ahhh:

Shipper

Woodford said:
webby3650 said:
Perhaps what I call red Elm is in fact Dutch Elm. It would certianly appear that red elm does exsist! Back to the point, that ain't Tulip.
Dutch Elm is a disease that wiped out nearly all of the American Elm trees in North America. It's caused by the Elm Bark Beetle.
There is no such thing as a Dutch Elm tree.
The only Elm we have around here is Slippery Elm although some people refer to it as Piss Elm. I don't see very many Slippery Elms, but I do see a lot of Hackberry trees which look a lot like Flms and are actually related. Hackberry is good firewood, but you know what? It has those stringy things on it and is difficult to split, just like Elm.
I'm not always right about identifying someone elses wood, but I definitely know what wood I have.
And yes, it is Tulip Tree. Some people call it Poplar, but it's actually in the Magnolia family.
You obviously know your trees. Wanna try again?
Yes, I do know my trees and what you have in your photo is mostly ELM. You also have some Black Locust nearer to the bottom. There might be a piece of Tulip(Poplar)hidden in there some where.Sorry Shipper to get off topic, I'm done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.