Wood ID- Should I grab it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
19645leaves.JPG
19645tree.JPG
20170216_082647.jpg
20170216_082652.jpg

Any idea what type of tree this is? I pulled the pictures of the leaves and full tree off google street view, so i can't grab a better shot of it. Trying to decide if its worth my time to do more than one load, since the ole wood hauler is in the shop.

I think it is a birch species

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

after looking at the leaves and the smell, it is sort of like birch. we don't have a ton of birch around here, which is weird. I will probably grab a truck full or something, but leave the rest for others.

Quaking aspen - the little leaves are the give away - they flutter as the wind blows through them. It is 'paper' wood - i.e. low btu's. It could be used for starting fires or maybe during the start or end of the burning season.

the limbs made me think that it was an aspen of some sort, but the bark on the bigger part threw me off....

Yeah - some flavor of aspen. BTU on the low end of the scale. Pretty easy stuff to work up into firewood, though.

Aspen here 2.

bob

Populus of some sort. From distance leaves appear like it could be P. tremuloides (quaking aspen), but the furrowed older bark looks more like cottonwood/ hybrid poplar.
I can't recall aspen having dark or orange wood. Seems it's been light/ white. But, it's definitely not Betula (birch).
When I was a kid we had a hybrid poplar in our yard. The wonder tree. http://www.frysvillefarms.com/hybrid-poplar-trees.php It's good for windbreaks, screens and land reclamation. Now male cultivars grown for production. You definitely wouldn't want a female hybrid poplar in your yard. Our hybrid poplar grew ~10'/ year. It slowed down at ~100'. Cut it down at 110'+ after 14 years. While the leaf margin serration is similar to quaking aspen, the leaf was more triangular than aspen.
It'll burn like aspen/ cottonwood.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Poplar of some type. Maybe a White Poplar, a European species that is planted in yards sometimes.

i grabbed a few pieces, but the wood hauler is still in the shop, so I wasn't able to grab more. if it is still there on the way home from the shop, I may grab a couple of pieces. Its not like I need the wood right now (since its 70º)