Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijbelair55

Jan 8, 2014
sussex nj
image.jpg image.jpg

I have some of this, and while I'm not 100% certain, my research so far points to butternut. I'll be interested in the other replies.

I don't think it is elm. Maybe Cottonwood. I'd like to see more pictures, including the end of a split. Obviously pictures of the leaves would make it easy to ID.

Yes I was told elm .. Splitting is a slow terrible process
Unless I'm wrong in my tree ID, I have always thought elm was very stringy.

image.jpg This was a willow I took down this spring in Vernon, saw has a 20" bar. Looks like your wood

By the bark, defnitely cottonwoods. Very popular to use foir carving, very furrowed and has the red coloring underneath the grey. The grain is whitish and stringy. I have a chopping block of that exact same stuff. Take a whiff if it is still green, and it will have a syrupy, sour odor. We have a ton of it around here, our capital, boise (meaning big wood in french) was named for all the big cottonwoods in the river bottoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.