Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reneroman77

Dec 6, 2016
West Caldwell
Can anyone tell me what this wood is? 1b3c6c26219142f7f09af614c4c449bc.jpgc675ae85cbdc9912a4f60b5ad1048f0d.jpgfc414ac10bc12383a27597a8a42183a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks more like elm to me...but I'm no expert!

Last edited:
Could be, that's why I was asking about smell. It's often hard for me to tell from pictures and weathered splits. Something that hasn't had the color faded is sometimes a little more obvious.

Looks more like elm to me...but I'm no expert!
I don't think it's elm. Too clean a split and the grain is straight. Elm is nearly impossible to split by hand, the grain is full of twists and turns and that's why.

That definitely isn't pine but even if it was, pine is fine to burn.

The bark looks like it could be ash, though you say it is very light so that's kind of tricky as ash has a medium density.

It looks like the wood might be a little punky or rotten, so that might explain why it is light. Does it split easily? The split you show looks a little stringy so if it was tough to split I might say half-way gone hickory and if it was easy to split I would guess ash.

Looks like northern white cedar to me. I just tossed a couple in the boiler today that looked like that.

Do any of the pieces have a greenish tint to them? Poplar kinda gets these greenish grey streaks ( which I don't see in the piece you posted, but maybe others have them.) Which is why I was thinking spruce / cedar.

It's Tulip or "poplar" as most know it. No doubt about it..
splits easy, burns fast. I certainly don't pass it up, but I wouldn't work too hard for it either!

Where are you? West Caldwell doesn't ring a bell for me.

Def tulip poplar, I burn lots of it in MD. Burns quicker than prized woods but brings stove to temps much quicker.

Oh wow that might be a match. Is poplar in northwest nj?

I'm sure. I have tons of it, I'm in Va. it grows fast too. If you have a lot of "helicopters" but no oak trees, that's Yellow poplar. Most log cabins were built with poplar cause it's very strait

Probably the heaviest green wood ever lol, then turns into the lightest wood ever lol... But again, its a good wood in my eyes. When its 40's at night, aka shoulder season, its perfect!

Even deep winter around here, if your going to be home to reload, I can get a decent 5-6hr burn in my cat stove with the air turned down with tp, it does fairly well.