Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

liquidskin

Nov 7, 2014
NJ
I'm a hand splitting newbie so maybe it's partially to do with that, but this SOB was a real headache! Picked up in front of a neighbors house in Northwest NJ. I don't think I'll be going back for more.

Very smelly wood, if that helps with the ID

5bbcb59c66cc6e3214ef7de00bf9d1f5.jpg3c20699eaec77fb2909d03d33d9c3dc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm likely to be corrected as a newbie to wood ID's.

It has a pine look from the bark, color, and grain.
Picked up similar stuff as a professional scavenger.
90% of our stockpile is roadside scrounge. I don't even have a working saw. lol
I just bang on doors and ask if I can have the stuff along people's frontage. Most
of the non-stovers say yes, and leaves me in the same position as you, Liquid.
Bring it home, bust it up, and look it up. Works here @ Cheap Acres.

To be fair, the strong scent you typed about would be a dead giveaway as it "wood" smell like a pine air freshener for your car.
There's a big chance I'm worng, er, wrong. lolol

I'm likely to be corrected as a newbie to wood ID's.

It has a pine look from the bark, color, and grain.
Picked up similar stuff as a professional scavenger.
90% of our stockpile is roadside scrounge. I don't even have a working saw. lol
I just bang on doors and ask if I can have the stuff along people's frontage. Most
of the non-stovers say yes, and leaves me in the same position as you, Liquid.
Bring it home, bust it up, and look it up. Works here @ Cheap Acres.

To be fair, the strong scent you typed about would be a dead giveaway as it "wood" smell like a pine air freshener for your car.
There's a big chance I'm worng, er, wrong. lolol

Thanks! So if it smells like pine and looks like pine... it just might be pine!?

Was sticky as hell, too. Still can't get over what a job it was to split this one big round. I guess I've been spoiled by "whatever" the downed stuff in my woods is. (Need to come back for an ID on that stuff some day...)

The Fiskars x25 is clearly not all I'm going to need... bring on the wedges I guess.

Thanks! So if it smells like pine and looks like pine... it just might be pine!?

Was sticky as hell, too. Still can't get over what a job it was to split this one big round. I guess I've been spoiled by "whatever" the downed stuff in my woods is. (Need to come back for an ID on that stuff some day...)

The Fiskars x25 is clearly not all I'm going to need... bring on the wedges I guess.

let it sit for a little while, and then the fiskars will be fine.

That is a nasty looking round liquidskin. I would guess that a Fiskars will never be able to bust it. Instead it is time to start thinking about a sledge and wedge approach or a nice noodle job.