Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
OK. Usually don't have a prob Id'ing a tree, but this one is a riddle so far. It was on the ground where I was getting some big red oak. Dead, straight, no bark, dense/heavy but pretty dry (<20%) already and looked like it had been dead standing for a while before aep cut it down. Pics dont show how redish it really is. Thought red oak, but grains not right, no rays and the smell is off. It has a sour tangy odor, not super strong but there. I know red oak has an odor some don't like, but this is diff, no oakyness at all. My best guess is red elm, but not sure. What say ye?
IMG_20170201_171936316.jpg
IMG_20170201_171740820.jpg
IMG_20170201_171700737.jpg
IMG_20170201_171800717.jpg
IMG_20170201_171651444.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170201_171651444.jpg
    IMG_20170201_171651444.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 90
How about honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos) ?

I've had barkless standing dead maple turn really red.....burn a sliver see if it smells like sugar

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Burned a sliver and it did have a very faint smell. Maybe a little sweet, but almost smelled like one of those wood incense burners. It does have ray flecks visible in the split side (not the end) like maple does. Does hard maple completely shed it's bark while standing like elm?

I don't remember any of mine smelling, but don't get much smell with the stove. I have also seen cherry stand dead long enough that all of its sap wood rots off leaving a solid heartwood tree standing. You would know the smell of it was cherry though.

That is about right for the size elm gets before it dies around here.

I don't remember any of mine smelling, but don't get much smell with the stove. I have also seen cherry stand dead long enough that all of its sap wood rots off leaving a solid heartwood tree standing. You would know the smell of it was cherry though.

That is about right for the size elm gets before it dies around here.
Yeah, the smell isn't strong and any tree can develop an odor based on soil or decay/bacteria. It's either red elm or hard maple. I don't have much of either. I only got a few of the cut pieces, think I'm going to go back for the rest of it. I love both of them.

Over the years I have cut several barkless elms that look just like your pic. I vote red elm.

Last edited:
Yes it does, especially the small ones
Ok. Didn't know that. I have a bunch of them this size I am managing for down the road.....obviously a while down. What causes that or anyway to prevent it. Im hoping to keep them healthy as all the elms I have will start to die soon from Dutch Elm Dis caused by a bacteria entering via a borer.

What causes that or anyway to prevent it.
I really do not know, I'm going to guess it has something to do with excess moisture, these damp areas are where I find about all of my small standing dead elm and maple.

Maybe red maple? How heavy are we talking? Red maple and elm should be about the same weight. All the red maple for me has been very straight. With no knots I can split something about 1/2"x16" all the way through.

Those older logs can be really tricky.