Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bosully76

Nov 28, 2010
Rockland New York
I took some of this wood and the splitting was difficult in the center. Had a weird smell as well. I have access to more. Curious about quality of the burn.

Attachments

• IMG_2867.JPG
    IMG_2867.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 210
Hickory. Pignut or mockernut is my guess. I hate it. Others love it.

Looks like red oak from here. Primo wood.

Reactions: Chas0218
I can't tell what it is. Close up views of the splits, including ends and the bark, would be helpful. It doesn't look like Red Oak, but I am not sure.

Photos aren't close enough for me. Red oak emits a strong smell when split, but I wouldn't call it strange. Very pleasant -- makes me want to split all day. Red oak is pinkish. And tends to splinter. Not sure what you have.

Looks like red oak to me for sure. An end grain pic would confirm.

Not looking like red oak to me either but pics not so good. First thought was hickory due to dark heartwood and wide light sapwood.Red oak usually splits easy and op says center is tough, hmmmm. Close up pics of end grain would be helpful.

The splits in #5 look a lot like red oak to me, but only stuff that's been split long enough for the surface to dry out (freshly split red oak is much darker). Pic #1 not so much. It would help to have more of a close-up to be sure. Smell should be like fermented fruit. I see some knots in there--maybe that's why it's hard to split? Red oak is great to burn when dry, but that takes time.

Edit: Forgot to mention that hickory smells more like manure to me. Far cry from oak. Is that the weird smell you're getting?

I say red oak. Looks like ash but the bark is the give away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't think the bark or wood looks like red oak. I have no idea what it is but all red oak that I've ever split (it's my primary firewood) is way darker especially on a fresh split.