Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

k3751

Dec 23, 2014
NE Iowa
Trying to id this wood I scored. I think/hope it's American beech. I'm living in NE Iowa if that helps.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170509_122802_resized.jpg
    20170509_122802_resized.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 286
Do you think it could be Holly? I've gotten some before and it was very white like that inside...

looks like hackberry to me. White inside to the small brown inside and if you split one by hand will be on the stringy side.

Do you think it could be Holly? I've gotten some before and it was very white like that inside...

I looked at some pics online. I should have attached some photos of similar trees where I was cutting. They were deciduous trees. Aren't hollies evergreens. Obviously I should have included this info in my original inquiry.

looks like hackberry to me. White inside to the small brown inside and if you split one by hand will be on the stringy side.
That's probably a good guess. Some of the bigger rounds I tried to split with a maul to load them into my truck, and it was very stringy. I also wasn't getting the large noodle/chips I usually get with a pretty aggressive chain.

Was the bigger rounds have knobs or a wartyness to the bark? Most of the knots/warts will be about the size of your thumb and as you go up the tree they get smaller till you get to most of the limbs then bark starts to smooth out. Ruff on hands and gloves IF hackberry.

Was the bigger rounds have knobs or a wartyness to the bark? Most of the knots/warts will be about the size of your thumb and as you go up the tree they get smaller till you get to most of the limbs then bark starts to smooth out. Ruff on hands and gloves IF hackberry.

It was pretty much all smooth, but there wasn't much for larger rounds in what I cut up.

What does it smell like split? The fresh beech I just got had a pretty distinct smell. Maybe a little bit like coconut.

Here are some American beech pics.

If I remember I'll get a pic of the splits tomorrow. Just did about 3-4 rounds this evening.

Attachments

• 20170502_115952.jpg
    20170502_115952.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 20170502_191950.jpg
    20170502_191950.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
What does it smell like split? The fresh beech I just got had a pretty distinct smell. Maybe a little bit like coconut.

Here are some American beech pics.

If I remember I'll get a pic of the splits tomorrow. Just did about 3-4 rounds this evening.

Haven't split it yet (waiting my turn on the communal splitter) but the rounds look very similar. It seemed to be tough on my chain as well.