Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
wwod1.jpg
wood2.jpg
wwod1.jpg
wood2.jpg
wwod1.jpg
wood2.jpg
wood3.jpg
wood4.jpg
wwod1.jpg
wood2.jpg
wood3.jpg
wood4.jpg
I am usually pretty good at ID. This is new to me. I thought it was going to be pretty light when i saw it. Turns out it was heavy. Also it split well on the splitter, also had a slight "orange tint" on the splits. Its all CSS now but would love to know what you guys think?

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
We have that here in PA. too, in fact I just picked up a few pieces this morning before work at the compost site that look very much like that. I think it is some kind of a Maple, maybe an ornamental one or an ornamental tree, I could be wrong but the grain reminds me of a type of Maple.

Reactions: TedyOH
Looks like some kind of maple to me. Need assorted bark and end grain pics for better ID.

Reactions: TedyOH
Looks like some kind of maple to me. Need assorted bark and end grain pics for better ID.
It felt like hard maple...but the bark is all wrong. Its smooth not ridged.....but dark and light almost spotted....not uniform like a beech or young silver maple.

Gotta be red maple looking at the bark. Inside doesn't really look red-mapley though.

Most sugar maples by me have smoother bark....plus with the horizontal rays that's my guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Based on the pics, I was thinking pin oak.
Hmmm got me thinking. Went back out and looked there do appear to be rays. When comparing to other pin oak barks online it still looks a bit off...but again may be just "localized"