Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was thinking the same thing but thought maybe he knew something about it that we didn't?!
Sadly, I know ash way too well. This all EAB dead ash we've been dealing with the last few years. The bug damage in the original post was likely from ants. These splits are way more dense and heavier than ash.
IMG_8939.jpeg

IMG_8938.jpeg
Snap crackle pops and shoots fireworks outwhen door is opened, that’s hickory.
No popping or crackling at all from this wood. If that's true maybe it is maple.

As far as hardness or denseness, I have five year old 51/4 x6” Ash boards that you can’t nail with out drilling.
The drier the wood gets the denser it becomes, and in turn harder.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Snap crackle pops and shoots fireworks outwhen door is opened, that’s hickory.
That's what mines been doing, I thought I caught on fire this morning there were so many sparks.

As far as hardness or denseness, I have five year old 51/4 x6” Ash boards that you can’t nail with out drilling.
The drier the wood gets the denser it becomes, and in turn harder.
Completely understood. Experienced that when I cut and installed the fireplace mantle in our basement.

The bark is similar to pignut hickory, but the wood does not look stringy enough. When you split hickory, little strands splay out, don't want to split.

Butternut

Butternut
8C978C67-47C3-46A4-A9E9-BD58957E4947.png