Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 2, 2018
Maine
Just got a haul local, 2 streets over. Estimating about a 1/3 to 1/2 cord of wood plus more hopefully cut up soon. What kind of wood do you think this is? Maple? (Just the rounds on the ground). They were nice enough to get everything cut up to stove size just needs to be split and stacked. I can get better pictures during daylight later. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2535.JPG
    IMG_2535.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 227
Looks like a maple to me too, nice score.

Looks like a silver maple to me. I recall cutting one down in my yard a few years ago. Dang limbs drained water/syrup for 20 minutes. Once it dried it burned HOT. I'd have to mix it with other wood to prevent overfiring.

now everyone just wait a minute. . . could it be basswood (tilia Americana) the reason I say this is #1 the bark #2 look how oblong the rounds are,...……………………………...

now everyone just wait a minute. . . could it be basswood (tilia Americana) the reason I say this is #1 the bark #2 look how oblong the rounds are,...……………………………...
As far as the bark goes, it looks more like basswood than any maples. I've never cut basswood, so don't know what rounds look like inside.

As far as the bark goes, it looks more like basswood than any maples. I've never cut basswood, so don't know what rounds look like inside.
I tend to agree basswood. One way to tell is it is lighter than maple.

The rounds seemed very heavy, They seemed stringy on some and split clean on others when pushing in through the hydro splitter if that helps. Tree was cut last week so it shouldn't have as much water in the rounds.

Basswood is stringy to split, I have never come across any stringy maple

From my experience Basswood has a very white grain inside, very clean looking, and when it dries it will be light.

Better daylight images of the split wood.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG