Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer7

Burning Hunk
Oct 20, 2008
CT
Carpenter ants weakened the bottom of this tree in my backyard and it fell down in a storm a couple weeks ago. Stupid little [email protected] I'll take the wood. but what kind is it?

Attachments

• CIMG3397.JPG
    CIMG3397.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 313
  • CIMG3398.JPG
    CIMG3398.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 320
slayer7 said:
Carpenter ants weakened the bottom of this tree in my backyard and it fell down in a storm a couple weeks ago. Stupid little [email protected] I'll take the wood. but what kind is it?
cherry

smokinj said:
slayer7 said:
cherry
+1 Cherry

Really?? Wouldn't it have fruit on it? I think it gets little berries at some point but nothing resembling a cherry.

It is cherry for sure. I do not think it ever makes the fruit like you eat, it is a different type.
It definitely burns well.

Sweet. I figured it was good wood...the rounds seemed really heavy. Thanks.

slayer7 said:
Really?? Wouldn't it have fruit on it? I think it gets little berries at some point but nothing resembling a cherry.
wild cherry as we call it doesnt bear furit

smokinj said:
slayer7 said:
wild cherry as we call it doesnt bear furit

Yep, Cherry for sure

WoodButcher

Attachments

• black_cherry.jpg
    black_cherry.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 293
I have one in my yard the coons love it in August when it drops its berrys. Must be a laxative thow becoase they leav scat all over! Yep it burns well also!

looks like the scrappy black cherry that grows around here.
berries can be red until they start dropping. white cluster flowers in the Spring.
berries look like a long skinny bunch of miniature grapes

allhandsworking said:
I have one in my yard the coons love it in August when it drops its berrys. Must be a laxative thow becoase they leav scat all over! Yep it burns well also!

The poop? or the wood? :lol:

Skier76 said:
allhandsworking said:

Eh, don't make light of poop. They burn camel poop in the desert.

LLigetfa said:
Skier76 said:
allhandsworking said:

Eh, don't make light of poop. They burn camel poop in the desert.

Hopefully, they clean their moisture meters often.....

Status
Not open for further replies.