Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmuellr

Nov 23, 2009
SE Michigan
Anyone have any idea what kind of wood this is? I picked up a load of mixed hardwood, and a few logs of this was in there.

The wood was purchased in SE Michigan.

Thanks!
Kevin

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 305
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 331
  • wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 310
I would say red oak

Impossible for me without bark. Even in my own pile I get confused if it doesn't have bark!

You're asking alot to id that stuff, but hey, I can't be any more wrong than anybody else.

I've seen red oak kinda look like that and I have some apple that has that same decay/bug pattern, just not as uniformly as those whole pieces.

Ben, Thats were I saw that color. Apple. Could be apple. Does it smell great when burned?

Oak was my guess, but I'm certainly no expert. I have split lots of Red and White Oak, though.

Is it light?...... black cherry is real light once it's nice and seasoned like that.

WB

lexybird said:
looks alot like beech without the bark

Iam burning beech tonight thats not it

Thanks for all the input. No bark, definately standing dead wood. Its quite heavy compared to the ash that I have.

Just curious, since its firewood! I've never seen anything like it (not that I have a lot of experience), so my gears started turning.

K

How is the smell when burning?

gzecc said:

I haven't noticed. Its in the stove!

I'll pay attention next time I throw a log on. It definately takes longer to light off than the ash that I have.

K

kmmuellr said:
gzecc said:

I haven't noticed. Its in the stove!

I'll pay attention next time I throw a log on. It definately takes longer to light off than the ash that I have.

K
its oak cherry would burn up quick

Go outside and smell.

I have some red oak that sat around in log form for a few years that looks like your splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.