Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
This is prolly an easy one for you guys, I have still yet to order my tree book

Attachments

• 100_1632.jpg
    100_1632.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_1633.jpg
    100_1633.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_1634.jpg
    100_1634.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 344
CodyWayne718 said:
This is prolly an easy one for you guys, I have still yet to order my tree book

white oak

man, thats tough with such a skinny piece of bark to try to ID.

my first instinct is going to be some kind of Red Oak,

the grain is looking like red oak as well.

FLINT said:
man, thats tough with such a skinny piece of bark to try to ID.

my first instinct is going to be some kind of Red Oak,

the grain is looking like red oak as well.

to me the bark looks like silver maple thats where I came up with white oak form just looking at bark (white oak and silver maple bark look very close)

I think that is Red Oak.

sure looks like red oak to me too

My vote is red oak! Ah, what a nice wood - hope you have lots more of this stuff......dry!

That looks exactly like what I've been burning these last few weeks...and what I have is oak. Now as to the color...I'm not sure....but it burns real nice!

Thanks fellas, I have a boat load of this stuff that still needs to be split, some of it kinda stinks thou, sorta smells like cow poo.....

Stinkin like cow poo is CLASSIC red oak....... some find the odor slightly offensive, however myself I find it slightly intoxicating.

I have about 5 cords of cut in October red oak that I smell several times a day..... I love it and almost dont want it to dry out.

The pic in my avatar is a nice red oak round.

I split a dozen rounds of the red stuff today. Love how it splits and how them big rounds like to put up a fight.

yeah, red oak definitely puts out an odor - sometimes we would say it smells a little like pee or something, but i don't think it smells bad.

often red oaks can be full of ants

Status
Not open for further replies.