Wood Id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman

Feb 18, 2010
St. Louis
This is part of a tornado scrounge and I think the leaf that came on it seemed like a maple, Norway maybe. But it was a few months since I've had, it but just got around to splitting and stacking. The red heartwood is pretty cool when freshly split.
Any ideas on what this is?
P7278416.jpg

P7278418.jpg

Thanks,
Joe

Definitely boxelder. I think it is technically a maple, but I may be thinking of something else.

Not the highest BTU wood, so set it aside for the shoulder season.

lukem said:
Definitely boxelder. I think it is technically a maple, but I may be thinking of something else.

Not the highest BTU wood, so set it aside for the shoulder season.

Yes, box elder is in the maple family. It burns fine but not for a long time and that is why it is good in spring or fall.

Once that stuff starts to season, your gonna want to put a bungee cord around it. That stuff will float away in a light breeze like a dried up leaf. :cheese:

Jokes aside - there ain't nothing wrong with it as long as you take it at face value. A low BTU wood that burns fast and hot, but also works up pretty darn easy. Good for shoulder seasons and for building the first fire. Easy start and up to temp fast.

Diddo... To those about Box Elder. But when I was processing mine, the outer wood had a spin to it that made splits looks nasty. It was pretty nasty splitting for me anyways.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get to much of this, but was curious. I guess the maple leaf came on something else. I did however come way with quite a bit of black oak, mulberry, cherry and a silver maple that my dad lost(different load that above).

Wingman said:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get to much of this, but was curious. I guess the maple leaf came on something else. I did however come way with quite a bit of black oak, mulberry, cherry and a silver maple that my dad lost(different load that above).
I think someone mentioned it is a member of the Maple family so the leaves are similar.

Boy that boxelder in thier picture has a lot better looking bark on it than the ones I have.

Yeah, it does rot quickly if not c/s/s. Here are my own pics of boxelder with bark. Note that that amoeba shaped stain in the heartwood of the butt ends is also characteristic of boxelder.

boxelder_fresh2.jpg

boxelder_fresh1.jpg

Man, that looked like it split nicely, mine didn't. Mine the outerwood had a twist to it and was straight grained. I was a pain to stack.

Yeah, it was an easy split. The rounds had been cut a couple days prior, and they were split during the mid-winter freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.