Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
bearded asil hen 038.jpg I know my trees pretty good. This tree shown looks like an ash but is not like the 4 ashes I just took. Hope the pictures are big enough to detect

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 039.jpg
    bearded asil hen 039.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 241
I am seeing pignut!

Leaves look wider than Walnut leaves around here...

Not ash for sure. Bark looks a bit like black walnut but I'm not sure, I can't make much out of the piucture of the leaves.

Always remember the acronym "MAD HORSE." MAD HORSE = Maple, Ash, Dogwood and Horse chestnut.These are the only trees with opposite branches and opposite leaves. But you knew that, didn't you.;lol

Reactions: ScotO
Black Walnut by bark and leaves, imo.

Not ash for sure. Bark looks a bit like black walnut but I'm not sure, I can't make much out of the piucture of the leaves.

Always remember the acronym "MAD HORSE." MAD HORSE = Maple, Ash, Dogwood and Horse chestnut.These are the only trees with opposite branches and opposite leaves. But you knew that, didn't you.;lol
I said pretty good Ralph..............but not real good;lol

Reactions: ScotO
Pretty sure it's walnut
butternut-leaf.jpg

Walnut:
walnut_tree-s.jpg

or
butternut :
butternutnuts-s.jpg

Turns out he cut the tree down and posted in another thread. Looks like elm when you look at the other post......

Saw the stump in the other post and still say Walnut.

Turns out he cut the tree down and posted in another thread. Looks like elm when you look at the other post......

you had better re-read that post. He cut down the tree that was 90% dead not this tree. The other tree was most definately a red elm. This tree in this post is most likely a HICKORY the leaves are too wide for Walnut and the bark is not quite right for Walnut either. So I will put my two cents in and say Hickory.

I posted two trees in different threads which got confusing. The one tree that was 90% dead is in the other thread has been identified as a species of elm. Hoping it is red elm so it splits easy. I am going to try that today. In this thread, I too believe the tree to be a walnut. I looked around and have a couple other ones near that area. I never knew I had walnuts in my woods.........

Status
Not open for further replies.