Wood idea please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Was spliting this from a scrounge I got early last fall and not sure exactly what it is.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 203
Looks like Walnut

That's not sassafras. I don't think walnut either. Mulberry is my guess.

Color looks like walnut, but as someone who has piles of walnut, I'll say the ratio of heartwood to sapwood looks higher than most walnut I've split. Walnut is very easy to ID by the smell, but good luck describing that in words.

Butternut.

That flat top ridged bark & reddish brown heartwood makes me think Slippery (Red) Elm.

Firewood!!!!!!!!!!!

KC

I'd say Slippery/Red Elm. The bark looks more like Elm than Walnut to me, and the color of the heartwood doesn't look dark brown enough for walnut.

Yep, It's Red Elm.

I think it's elm too...very stringy...tough as nails to split...i just hope it is worth all my effort...i cut it down to 12" sections to split which made it easier...hope it is worth all my effort....hope to have pics of it all stacked soon

If it is extremely light,smells like rootbeer, and splits when you look at it harshly, It's sassafras. Bark looks slightly different than my sass,and I don't have any experience with red elm yet.

That flat top ridged bark & reddish brown heartwood makes me think Slippery (Red) Elm.
Wow, it's that dark when wet? I guess I should have deduced that it would be a lot darker when fresh. I've only cut dead standing with the bark fallen off; Much lighter in color. Bark looks a little different than what I've seen, but that's the case quite often...no two barks are quite alike.
I think it's elm too...very stringy...tough as nails to split...i just hope it is worth all my effort.
I've only split dead standing Red so I don't know what you're up against. The dead standing is tough but splittable with the 8-pounder.
It's definitely worth the effort; Burns well and pretty long, with BTU almost as good as White Ash. Pretty when dry too. I grab it whenever I can; I think you'll like it. I wouldn't expect it to be dry by this coming Winter though...

Wow, it's that dark when wet? I guess I should have deduced that it would be a lot darker when fresh. I've only cut dead standing with the bark fallen off; Much lighter in color. Bark looks a little different than what I've seen, but that's the case quite often...no two barks are quite alike.
I've only split dead standing Red so I don't know what you're up against. The dead standing is tough but splittable with the 8-pounder.
It's definitely worth the effort; Burns well and pretty long, with BTU almost as good as White Ash. Pretty when dry too. I grab it whenever I can; I think you'll like it. I wouldn't expect it to be dry by this coming Winter though...

This has been sitting in rounds for almost 6 months and has been down for about 12...it's not for this winter will probably be for the winter after or 3 years from now

Status
Not open for further replies.