Wood Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E$85

Jun 15, 2017
Olympia
I got this wood free off a guy on OfferUp. It was felled about a week ago and he has no idea what type of wood it is. I figure it'll burn no matter what it is but though I'd post pics here to see if anyone can identify the species. It's pretty dense (read heavy) and smells kind of like sweet manure if that makes sense.

Any ideas?
Wood IdentificationWood IdentificationWood Identification

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like poplar.

definitely some sort of popular...

Reactions: Lakeside
poplar....heavy when wet, will dry quickly and burn quickly....and yep it is a bit pungent.

Def not beech, I have a ton of it.

Poplar vote here, too. The bark should feel a little "waxy" to the touch. Heavy when green, but will dry fast and become very light. You may want to split the rounds even if they're a bit small or stove size already, as they will dry much faster - burning wet poplar is about as much fun as burning a wet sneaker.

Thanks everyone, I guess it's Poplar. I split it today and it's all sopping wet. I just use my wood stash for campfires and in the backyard fire pit. We're having 85ish degree sunny days with a light breeze so it should dry fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poplar, as in the Aspen/Cottonwood family, not Tulip Poplar which doesn't grow wild in Wash. State. Neither does Beech.