Wood Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
So, i have been hanging about the site for some weeks, learning, reading all that this place has to offer, quite impressed i must say.

First, I am only 24 years old, young i know but in no ways "new" to this. I grew up with my parents heating with wood and coal. Neighbors doing the same. My responsiblities as a youngster included the splitting (by hand) stacking, stoking, ash duty. Might have grumbled then but that was probably the reason i developed a stong heathy body that enabled me to play some NCAA lacrosse, and go to college for a great education. Thanks.

Now that i am out and on my own, all of the responibilies fall on me. I got married and bought a house a year ago, with the requirments that i have a yard, basement, garage and oh yeah a fireplace. (no Garage but three out of four ain't bad) I bought an insert and is presently sitting in the living room with the liner waiting to be installed (getting quite chilly here) this weekend i hope. (oh yeah the house has require MAJOR renovations and has really taken me this long to get to that part of the house, wifey wanted a kitchen and bathroom first, silly women) I dont have a problem with installing it or i would have posted in the hearth room. My question is that i feel not quite up to snuff when it comes to identifying wood to cut. I have spent most of my life in the woods, hunting, fishing, hiking etc. but before all teh wood was choosen by others. Yes i can certainly tell you what a Poplar, oak, pine etc. but not all the various subspecies. I presently found (on craiglist no lie) a church in a horrible part of Baltimore that needs trees removed and it mostly contains Oak, White, red and pin i think. Problem is theres other wood there that im not sure of. Do any of you guys (and gals) have any sort of guide that inlcudes bark, leaves, cuts rounds and split picutres identifying the "good" wood? i know that i could buy a book on this, but i find even those are sub-par when it comes to firewood.

By the way some felling advice on how to properly cut down a tree would be good for here as well. No i dont have a problem with that (dropped two large oaks this past month) but i always like to think i dont know everything and safety tips would be great for me and others. Currently i wield a Sthil MS290 Farm Boss 20" and notch, backcut and wedge most of my trees over. but something on chain falling etc would be nice.

Thanks

For a decent, actually very good, handheld or pocket guide, I have the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees, Eastern Region" uses leaves, bark, and growing patterns for ID, As far as wood that is felled already I think that comes more from ID in standing form then add in the experience of bucking and splitting it in known form. I know a guy with 20 + years experience triming that has a hard time getting the sub-species right at times. Time in title is your friend.

Oh and btw WELCOME to the forum !!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes i agree, i have alot of expirence to gain, thankfully i ABSOLUTLY love to cut, buck, split and stack...errr burn too.

As above and perhaps Petersens Field Guide. Looked on Maryland's DNR site and couldn't find anything quite as comprehensive though you may find resources at:
http://www.naturalresources.umd.edu/ResourcesPublications.html

Though the leaf guide is in black in white and doesn't include bark pictures it should be soemwhat helpful (and it is free).

You can also post pics here for ID and perhaps use Wikipedia.

Welcome, and congrats on the insert & home. You and your wife are headed for a very cozy winter.
Try doing a search for Wood I.Ds from the woodshed. You will get tons of hits & see tons of photos & responses from veteran scroungers, tree guys... There isn't always a full consensus at the end, but the back and forth is very informative. Also pay attention to the location of the posters as species can look different depending on where they grow.
After you've spent a long time reading about tree identification you might find yourself I.D.ing trees in your area while walking & driving around. I do that & it has really helped me since I now live in a different area with totally different trees than where I grew up & had my woods-time.

As far as chains... My advice would be to practise using a "bull rope" first. You need at least 2 people. Don't practise on any trees tha actually NEED a rope to fall the right way, leave that for later. Don't put a whole crap-ton of tension on a tree before cutting it or it can split up the middle when you cut part way through. Search tree-cutting videos on Youtube for the term "Barber Chair" to see what can happen. As a rule, I've found most the Youtube videos are better for learning what NOT to do :gulp: Just don't bother with trees that need a rope/cable-puller to be felled safely (trees near houses, powerlines...) as there is plenty of easier pickin's out there. If you post pics & description of a tree you're planning to drop & the method you wanna take, plenty of folks here will give good advice on how/whether too do it.
If you don't already have them get some chainsaw chaps, sturdy boots, eye & ear protection, and use them.

I don't think there is a good guide to trees that includes rounds or splits. Most tree guides are based on leaves, and to a lesser degree bark. What I think you'll have to do is learn to identify the trees before they become rounds and splits. It certainly is possible to tell trees apart after they are firewood, but I don't think there is a book or website to show you how. Those who can do it, do it based on experience and knowing what the tree was before we cut it. right now most of the trees are bare, but you can probably guess what the tree is by idenitfying the leaves on the ground. If most of the leaves under a tree are maple, then it is probably a maple, etc.

On the other hand, I don't know what you mean by 'good wood.' It all burns! Take whatever you can get. oak is great but seasons really slowly. Most other woods season a lot faster, and also look and feel different and lighter, especially when dried. Burn the others this year and next, save the oak for a while until it is nice and dry.

The oak is for next year and then some. unfortunatly i have not really had the time to get a wood stock this year. got a mess load of uglies from a buddy, and some poplar from the parents back woods (dead laying of the ground for 4+ years).

My thoughts for splits or rounds is for wood scrouging. would hate to go through the effort for something that is truely garbage. of course maybe im just being picky. only ever really burned oak, pleanty of it around me. but im very curious to see what the other "quality" wood does such as locust (which i think i have the hardest time identifying) cherry, maple, ash etc.

(edit) chain falling was just one idea or part of some tips/advice for felling. Just a thought as to a good topic. everyone here recomends safety (obviously) but not much as to general guidlines and or what being safe is.

I'd collect anything you can - there aren't too many undesirable woods in my opinion. The lighter woods are lower in BTUs, but also lighter to pick up, season faster, and tend to heat up faster than oak. I enjoy comparing the processing and burning qualities of different types of wood. Of course it is tough to compare when you don't know what you're burning. Picking up rounds off the curb is particularly tough. I can ID every tree I see, but occasionally find rounds which I can't identify for certain. Leaves and the arrangement of leaves are the most distictive thing about most trees, plus the overall shape of a tree, branching pattern, and bark are great for identification. With rounds, all of these are missing, including sometimes the bark pattern - looking at a small length of bark can give a different impression than you'd get from the whole trunk.

Stump_Branch said:
The oak is for next year and then some. unfortunatly i have not really had the time to get a wood stock this year. got a mess load of uglies from a buddy, and some poplar from the parents back woods (dead laying of the ground for 4+ years).

My thoughts for splits or rounds is for wood scrouging. would hate to go through the effort for something that is truely garbage. of course maybe im just being picky. only ever really burned oak, pleanty of it around me. but im very curious to see what the other "quality" wood does such as locust (which i think i have the hardest time identifying) cherry, maple, ash etc.

First off, congratulations on the home purchase - my wife and I purchased our first home last year also (I'm 25 FYI). It was so fun to look at the house when we first bought it and develop a plan of how each room should be improved/developed. Did you get to take the first-time-home-buyer tax credit?

As far as tree ID goes - it really helped me to try to learn only one tree species per month or maybe one per week at the most. Start with the major categories first - you'll learn the sub-species later for fun. Your biggest gains will come right away if you can identify Ash, Elm, Oak, Maple, Hickory, Cherry/Fruit trees, Pine/Evergreens, Locust, Cottonwood/poplar etc. Each group tends to follow a narrow BTU/cord heat ranges. For example white oak might be 25 mbtu/cord while red oak is 27 mbtu/cord. Not a big difference between sub-species. I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

I would recommend going to your state's conservation department website or local office. The folks there can educate you on most local species that take up 90% of the timber. Maybe you could cut head out to the woods with an well educated tree cutting old-timer?

Best wishes on your quest.

Here are a couple links I use frequently:

Bark ID: http://www.hsu.edu/default.aspx?id=7544
BTU ratings: http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

CJRages, yes we did, thankfully anyways. that was a large part in our deciding to do so. As for the tax credit on the stove purchase, i had no idea, i was planning on doing so anyhow, thats just a nice bonus.

You think i could write-off my chain saw as a home improvment tool? i have felt like using it from time to time when i open up walls and find what the moron who owned the place before me did.

Maybe the wood pile as capital gains?

haha IRS nickel and dime me...huh, we will see

Status
Not open for further replies.