Wood in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My wood is very dirty. The reasons for this are that I cut old beetle killed wood that is starting to deteriorate, and it sheds when placed into stacks. I have numerous years stockpiled, and it is piled together and is not covered except what I plan on burning for the coming season. So it is exposed to the leaves from the surrounding trees.

100_2186.JPG
100_2187.JPG
100_1269.JPG
All this makes for very dirty wood when pulled out of the old stacks. Look at the first picture. I am sure no one would want to take those splits directly into the house when replenishing the indoor weekly stack. I certainly do not. Therefore my whisking the splits off before taking them indoors. A very quick whisk and they are clean, as in the second picture. It only takes a second, and I consider it one of the most time efficient things I do when handling wood.

Youuuu bet! Like a matchbox...
No stoves allowed in wooden houses. Ceramic and concrete bunkers only. Chimnea roast your weinies. And smores.
Uhm.
There's lot's of wood in homes, in general. And reasons for codes and clearances.

Last edited:
I put my entire winters wood in my basement (unfinished) every fall. Just did it 2 weekends ago. Used to be like 8 cords, now it's down to between 3 & 4 or so. Done that since the house was built 24 years ago. No issues. But it needs to go in dry.

On the dirty wood, some of mine also looks a bit like that. I have some of my stacks under 3 pine trees. By the time I stack it in the wheelbarrow, then take it out of that and stack it inside, it is clean, with no whisking required. Stuff mostly falls off outside when I take from the original stack, or if not then, into the wheelbarrow when I chuck it into that, or failing that into the wheelbarrow inside if there happens to still be some on it (rarely) and I give a quick brush with my gloved hand. Sometimes I will need to dump the crap out of the wheelbarrow after putting a bunch in.