Wood insert "Ambient heat behind the insert"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aphares

Feb 13, 2014
Indiana
Hi all, and thanks.

I am kicking around a wood insert. I have read, read, and read some more. I have looked at all the PDF installation files with every insert I am thinking about. But am i missing something or miss understanding?

All the insulation manuals show all non combustible requirement measurements from the front of the stove and the sides of the outer part of the door. Am I correct? The only measurement I seem to not be able to come by is the Rear of the insert. Are the inserts built well enough the rear or unseen sides are 0" non combustible requirement measurements?

I hope you all understand what i am asking...

Thnx
Art

For a situation where there are combustibles, instead of the unit being called an insert, it would be labeled "zero clearance"

I'm guessing you have a current setup you are looking to install something in?

Folks here might be able to give you some suggestions with some info like pics of what you currently have, dimensions of the opening, hearth, type of chimney, etc. The more info the better!

Welcome to the site and good luck.

Here are the results of searching titles for "zero clearance" you might find some hits that are of use to you as well. https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/29228571/?q=zero+clearance&o=date&c[title_only]=1

pen

For a situation where there are combustibles, instead of the unit being called an insert, it would be labeled "zero clearance"

I'm guessing you have a current setup you are looking to install something in?

Folks here might be able to give you some suggestions with some info like pics of what you currently have, dimensions of the opening, hearth, type of chimney, etc. The more info the better!

Welcome to the site and good luck.

Here are the results of searching titles for "zero clearance" you might find some hits that are of use to you as well. https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/29228571/?q=zero clearance&o=date&c[title_only]=1

pen
Then are all manufactured inserts Zero clearance?

Then are all manufactured inserts Zero clearance?

Nope, only those with that designation.

Are you trying to put something in a current zero clearance fireplace? I'm guessing you are working with a current setup and not trying to build fresh?

It is expected that the insert will only be going into a non-combustible envelope. Only UL127 tested ZC fireplaces are approved for this type of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.