Wood insert and related questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dood's

Mar 6, 2023
North Carolina
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the wood insert world in North America (I'm from France) and I have questions regarding a wood insert installation. I had a company come and check my chimney and said it's ok to install a wood insert but I will have to remove the gas water heater that vents thru the same flue as the oil furnace and gas fireplace (I will remove the gas fireplace). Got a quote of $8800 for all included installation (parging, liner, chimney cap, chimney waterproofing, Regency i2450 (with blower, trim, door), install).
What do you think of that? The liner is quoted $1800 with installation but it doesn't say what type is it so I'm afraid it would be a cheap chit.

My other option is to do it myself, I used to do it with my dad back in France but here it's a different code. I read a lot of stuff on this forum and got really good advice. I would probably have the company parge the smoke chamber as it seems to be a pita but would do the rest.
My concern is, is it ok to have a liner and oil furnace vent in the same flue? The company said ok, but I like having multiple inputs. I would go with a middle-weight flex liner, as much as I would prefer a rigid one it's gonna be a nightmare to align it with the insert damper. For the insert I'm not sure, Regency seems good but I also like the Lopi evergreen since it has the tax credit and no cat.
Let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice that I overlooked. Thank you for reading my post and for the help.
Guillaume

I installed my insert my self. I had a full masonry fireplace with an interior chimney. It did not meet clearance to combustibles. 1” exterior chimney and 2” for an interior one. I wrapped UL listed unusual around my liner. Get an insulated liner.

It was straightforward. Clean the flue and smoke shelf really well. Wrap liner. Pull is down. And hook up to insert.

So to be clear you have an unused flue now and that is where you will be installing the liner. The gas fireplace and oil and water heater are in a separate flue.

Thanks for your response, appreciate it. Alright, it looks pretty straightforward.

No that's the thing, I have only 1 flue where the oil furnace, gas water heater, and gas fireplace are connected. The company said it's ok if I remove the gas water heater to have oil and liner in the same flue. But I don't know if it's true or not.

Thanks for your response, appreciate it. Alright, it looks pretty straightforward.

No that's the thing, I have only 1 flue where the oil furnace, gas water heater, and gas fireplace are connected. The company said it's ok if I remove the gas water heater to have oil and liner in the same flue. But I don't know if it's true or not.
It's only true if there is room for a liner for the insert and the furnace inside the chimney

It's only true if there is room for a liner for the insert and the furnace inside the chimney
Ohh that means I would need to put a liner for the furnace and another one for the insert? I think the company was gonna put 1 liner for the insert and call it a day!!

Ohh that means I would need to put a liner for the furnace and another one for the insert? I think the company was gonna put 1 liner for the insert and call it a day!!
Yeah that won't meet code and won't work well

Well, I guess I'm screwed...unless I can re-route the furnace vent. Why a company would do that? That blows my mind!!
To get the sale

Reactions: Dood's
Hello everyone, another question I have in mind for my case. If I install a new SS liner from roof to insert, do I need to parge the smoke chamber? I know the code specify that smoke chamber should be parged but with the liner it will never be in use anymore. Am I right?

Hello everyone, another question I have in mind for my case. If I install a new SS liner from roof to insert, do I need to parge the smoke chamber? I know the code specify that smoke chamber should be parged but with the liner it will never be in use anymore. Am I right?
You don't have to no

• Love
Reactions: Dood's