Wood insert in heatform fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackstrw68

Oct 3, 2015
CT
Hello. I would like to get a few opinions on my wood insert installation. I will be installing a Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 into my current heatform fireplace with a yet undecided liner. I meet all the minimum clearances for the firebox except for the height req. at the rear , of 22". It is because the heatform slopes up at that point. Would it be OK to cut that portion out and either leave open and then insulate around or should I weld a straight piece of steel up from the cut to enclose the space.

Attachments

• IMG_20151003_141013.jpg
    IMG_20151003_141013.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 146
I've seen them cut through though I have not done this. The main thing to check is that the local inspector is ok with cutting it. It should be fine, they are supposed to be surrounded with masonry, but make sure the inspector agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.