wood insert surround diy access panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rizzo006

Nov 16, 2019
Bucks county pa
let me start by saying thank you for all the great info on here.. especially for block off plates. I have an osburn 2200 with surround trim. I want to be able to easily check my flue for safety reasons and I also want to put a thermometer at the base of the flue. I do not want to have to remove the whole panel when checking the flue and the flue temp. I will be removing the bolts from the panel in the picture and anchor a large magnet to the brick behind the pane. I will be using a magnet that's used for hanging hand tools from which is sold at harbor F discount tool store. this way I can just remove the gold trim and pull the panel off for easy access. I also have earth magnets I can use. my other thought was cutting and access hatch in the panel using hinges and a small magnet as a latch to close it... your thoughts? FYI there's line is the bar magnet affixed to brick with anchors and screws.

Attachments

• 20191116_222906.jpg
    20191116_222906.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 253
Reactions: Mech e
I like the tool magnet idea.
So if when I install my insert I will be buying my second one of these.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292
I got one last year and really looked at it all the tome while I was learning the stove. This year I’m relying on it less but I still hooked it up before the first fire. It would less on and off of the surround. and it has an alarm.

Magnets should work but if the get to hot 700-800 degrees they demagnetize. If they get that hot in that location you have bigger problems than the magnet.
Evan

I like the tool magnet idea.
So if when I install my insert I will be buying my second one of these.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292
I got one last year and really looked at it all the tome while I was learning the stove. This year I’m relying on it less but I still hooked it up before the first fire. It would less on and off of the surround. and it has an alarm.

Magnets should work but if the get to hot 700-800 degrees they demagnetize. If they get that hot in that location you have bigger problems than the magnet.
Evan
yea I agree. That part of the brick shouldn't get that hot

Why not just take it off once to install a probe thermometer? There’s really no reason to check the bottom outside of the flue all that often. You can inspect things from the inside looking up just as well - probably more important from the inside to see any buildup. Snap a pic with your phone so you don’t have to stick your head in the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bholler