Wood insert too large for fireplace opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firemoore98

Jan 18, 2016
Test
Gentlemen,

I currently have a Quadra Fire 2100i insert in my roughly 3,000sqft home with vaulted ceiling. I love burning wood and have for the better part of 10years, it’s just that I need a larger firebox and more btu. The current 2100i inset is placed inside a fireplace like a heatolator kinda thing and the chimney has a liner in it.

Wanting to step up to a Quadra Fire 5100i and I have checked before and I am a couple inches away from having the recommended clearance and do not believe the larger insert will fit. I have already consulted my chimney sweep who states my chimney will support a larger btu unit, but he doesn’t do custom installs and doesn’t know much about it. The local Quadra fire dealer listened to me on the phone, but the install “guy” has yet to call me back...

What are my options for enlarging my fireplace opening to facilitate a larger sized insert?

Any pictures or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gentlemen,

I currently have a Quadra Fire 2100i insert in my roughly 3,000sqft home with vaulted ceiling. I love burning wood and have for the better part of 10years, it’s just that I need a larger firebox and more btu. The current 2100i inset is placed inside a fireplace like a heatolator kinda thing and the chimney has a liner in it.

Wanting to step up to a Quadra Fire 5100i and I have checked before and I am a couple inches away from having the recommended clearance and do not believe the larger insert will fit. I have already consulted my chimney sweep who states my chimney will support a larger btu unit, but he doesn’t do custom installs and doesn’t know much about it. The local Quadra fire dealer listened to me on the phone, but the install “guy” has yet to call me back...

What are my options for enlarging my fireplace opening to facilitate a larger sized insert?

Any pictures or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Enlarging the fireplace may be possible but there is no way for me to know without way more info and pics. And doing so will likely cost close to what the new insert does

Is your fireplace too short? Too narrow? Too shallow?