Wood Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EWILT

Dec 5, 2007
Wyoming
Just feeling this idea out... I live outside Cheyenne Wyoming. I own a 3000sq ft ranch, walkout basement. Each level is 1500 sq ft. I have a pellet stove in the basement that does wonders for the basement. It does help heat the upstairs a little. The upstairs is all open with cathedral ceiling with the exception of the bedrooms which are three. In the main living area upstairs there is a LP direct vent insert. We very seldom use it as the cost of LP and the fact I don't think it very efficient. Our house in only a few years old so maybe it is, not sure as it does heat the room rather well. With the pellet stove in the basement and I'm almost finished with insulating and sheetrock there I'm looking for the next efficient/reliable project. This is where it gets expensive...If the power goes out how do I heat in the dead of winter...the wife and I both like burning wood. We do hate the mess but like the heat. Getting to the point...can I put a wood insert where the LP is currently and how much construction will I need to do? We won't be burning this when were not there and I just think having the wood insert would almost eliminate the LP furnace. I have access to the Nat. forest so I can cut wood. Grew up with a wood stove and had a fireplace in Md before moving out west. I know the pine here isn't good east coast oak, but everyone out here burns it. Just feeling the experts out. Thanks for the help.

EWILT

Ewilt, a bump :)

What's the existing chimney/flue setup for the LP insert you want to swap out? As many details as possible will help.

Also - do you have any cordwood already cut / split / stacked? If not, then you probably have plenty of time to think about this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.