Wood Mantel Columns in front of Insert Metal Surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

avetter1514

Oct 26, 2017
Indiana
Wanted to get some opinions. I'm considering having a Lopi woodburning insert installed in a masonry fireplace. We currently have an antique mantel surround that my wife loves (so it has to stay!). The wood columns would have 9 inches of clearance from the firebox on each side, but i'm concerned that the metal surround with the insert may extend behind these columns.

Do you think that would be a safety concern? I'm not sure how hot the metal surrounds typically get 9 inches away from the firebox.

Would really appreciate any thoughts around this!!

Wanted to get some opinions. I'm considering having a Lopi woodburning insert installed in a masonry fireplace. We currently have an antique mantel surround that my wife loves (so it has to stay!). The wood columns would have 9 inches of clearance from the firebox on each side, but i'm concerned that the metal surround with the insert may extend behind these columns.

Do you think that would be a safety concern? I'm not sure how hot the metal surrounds typically get 9 inches away from the firebox.

Would really appreciate any thoughts around this!!
Lopi will have all of the required clearances in their instructions. Look them up it will give you your answer

thanks Bholler. I am ok on the clearance from the firebox to the column, but it doesn't specify about anything in front of the surround plate. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with how hot that can get. The wood column would only be about 1/2 inch away from touching it

thanks Bholler. I am ok on the clearance from the firebox to the column, but it doesn't specify about anything in front of the surround plate. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with how hot that can get. The wood column would only be about 1/2 inch away from touching it
What insert is it

Well acording to the manual the stove is 23.625 w and you need 9.5 on each side. So if you have 42.625 between the columns you are fine if not then you cant put that insert in with that mantle

You also need 32" of noncombustible face and 35.5" to the mantle from the floor