Wood Next to Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Once the shoulder season starts winding down, how much wood to you most often keep stacked near the

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be careful and use common sense. We were Mutual Aid to a house fire in the next town over. New house and the owner had stored wood to near the cellar stove. A few pieces fell onto the stove, maybe the cat hit the pile, and set the side of the house on fire while they were away. It was a decent save but still lots of smoke and water damage. Common sense ain't to common. Be safe and also check those fire and CO detectors.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Just be careful and use common sense. We were Mutual Aid to a house fire in the next town over. New house and the owner had stored wood to near the cellar stove. A few pieces fell onto the stove, maybe the cat hit the pile, and set the side of the house on fire while they were away. It was a decent save but still lots of smoke and water damage. Common sense ain't to common. Be safe and also check those fire and CO detectors.
Ed

Ah . . . so did you take in the cat on the suspicion of setting the fire? ;) :) Darn cat . . . probably was upset about getting Sam's Choice Catfood instead of Fancy Feast! ;) :)

On a serious note . . . well worth mentioning . . . storing combustibles too close to a hot woodstove is asking for trouble.

So, as of this writing, it looks like 2/3 of those that chose to answer the poll store between 1 and 3 days worth of wood somewhat near their stove. Nearly 40% of those polled store 1 day. I wonder how many of those that store 0-1 days of wood are weekend or occasional burners that are concerned about bugs if wood is left in a warm room for a week.

Love that set-up, jlow.

Vic99 said:
So, as of this writing, it looks like 2/3 of those that chose to answer the poll store between 1 and 3 days worth of wood somewhat near their stove. Nearly 40% of those polled store 1 day. I wonder how many of those that store 0-1 days of wood are weekend or occasional burners that are concerned about bugs if wood is left in a warm room for a week.

Love that set-up, jlow.

Thanks for the compliment. You can see the before and after process here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jlowry10/WoodStoveInstall#

I built the sunroom in 2001 and we wanted to open up the sight lines to the backyard as well as heat the home. I am glad you like how it turned out. We still use the fireplace for grilling steaks in the wintertime, otherwise it is our wood storage.

I keep about 4 days worth in a closet across the room, lined it with plastic to keep the ickies of the walls and carpet!!

In the past couple years I've kept about a day's worth, maybe a bit less, in the living room by the stove in a sling carrier. This year I've dusted off my old hoop rack and after I gert the last coat of paint on it will be putting that in the living room...probably get nearly a week's worth of wood in it. The rack is a couple feet from the stove, no further.

Status
Not open for further replies.