Wood preservative?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Does that translate to "long term bug killer"?
Long term is relative.

It really depends on the type of pyrethroid and how it is formulated. I carry them on my truck that last a matter of minutes/seconds up to 1 year. Everything from gasses to dusts.

The borates I mentioned above are salts. They don't go away unless washed out.

BoraCare is a great product that i've used both to preserve wood and to combat active infestations of powder post beetles and carpenter ants. It's basically borax, but it's dissolved in an EG/water mixture to promote absorption.

You could burn and then oil the bottoms to prevent rotting.

Not a mechanical connection, but if you did not want to see your brackets, I have drilled all the way through concrete and put rebar vertically where I wanted a post (easier to do with wet concrete). I drilled a hole and set the post on that rebar, filling the hole in the post with some form of construction adhesive.

You could burn and then oil the bottoms to prevent rotting.

Not a mechanical connection, but if you did not want to see your brackets, I have drilled all the way through concrete and put rebar vertically where I wanted a post (easier to do with wet concrete). I drilled a hole and set the post on that rebar, filling the hole in the post with some form of construction adhesive.
Thanks, good suggestions.

My other porch is set up with the rebar as you describe. It seems like all the weight of the structure is sitting on the spot where the top of the rebar meets the end of the hole in the post.