Wood purchase - do I ask where the missing 15% is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had my worst cord ever delivered last fall. It only stacked to 3/4, and that's AFTER I split the larger pieces into 3-4 additional. And it is not seasoned, even though he says it is. Issue is, he charges $200 delivered. Normally he is about 10-15% shy. And honestly, Ive NEVER had a full cord delivered ever. "around here", a cord is what fills a dump to a certain level and that's what everyone has accepted. EXCEPT when you stack it, it doesn't equal a cord! Whatever, as long as Im not paying an arm and a leg Im ok with it, but not if it is only to 75%. SO the guy agreed he owes me another 1/4 the next time. Which means, I might get a full cord next time ;lol
Soo, if the general consensus is: delivered firewood is straight off the splitter, high in moisture, 10-20% less qty than advertised - figure the cost/qty and get to the price/ fullcord yourself, and determine if it's competitive. A quick lookup on craigslist around here has cordwood hardwood at $300-325, boilerwood at $225, campfire wood at $200. If you got 3/4cord at $200, that's $265/fullcord. Order a "supplier" cord and a half next time to get what you need.
Maybe we're just lucky that they can't make the splits concave in order to weasel out more material like the corporates do to stuff like canned goods and soap, and just about everything else. We would end up with a bunch of dog bones with a 1" broom stick in the middle.

It sucks that it’s like this. Firewood sellers have a bad rep. And guys that don’t want to answer simple questions make it worse.

I’m stacking wood right now with the intentions to sell it next fall. My goal is 50 face cords to sell (people don’t deal in full cords around here).

My criteria is
-Pieces as close to 16” long as I can get
-Stacks that are 96” long and 52” tall
-Wood seasoned around a year
-Ash and soft maple

Around here I’ll be lucky to get any more than 65$ per face cord.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
The problem isn't the sellers, it's the buyers that keep buying from the bad/dishonest sellers. If nobody bought from them, they'd go away.
If they shorted you once, they'll do it again. If they sold you green wood last time, it'll be the same next time.

Reactions: stoveliker
The problem isn't the sellers, it's the buyers that keep buying from the bad/dishonest sellers. If nobody bought from them, they'd go away.
If they shorted you once, they'll do it again. If they sold you green wood last time, it'll be the same next time.
I don't know that you can blame the buyers. There may be buyers who just don't notice they've been shorted, but for all you know, this guy might have very few repeat customers.

I got over my dislike of confrontation and just politely asked about the difference. He suspected one of the new hires accidentally used the wrong bobcat scoop, and they gave me the missing amount plus some extra for my trouble.

Definitely happy with their service & wanting to make it right.

That's a keeper!