Wood shed built using board on board fencing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Supersurvey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2015
New Jersey
Looking for pictures of a wood shed built using wood fencing such as board on board or shadow box fencing. Seems to be an easy design, basicly mostly pre-built. Anyone ever try this method?

Looking for pictures of a wood shed built using wood fencing such as board on board or shadow box fencing. Seems to be an easy design, basicly mostly pre-built. Anyone ever try this method?

It would seem that once you have the ground prepared and the footings ready, there wouldn't be much savings in time or labor to use mostly pre-built vs. just framing it up and slapping a roof on it.

Here in the rainforest in the rainy PNW, sheds need to be really well vented and, even then, they slow down the drying process because the wood is stacked in a rectangle instead of a line.

I've found the translucent fiberglass roofing panels to be a quick and easy solution that lends itself to really fast drying because the wavy tops channel the water to the end of the stack which keeps the lower part of the stack from becoming wet from dripping and splashing water. Around here, Lowes caries translucent fiberglass while Home Depot only has the poly ones which are too droopy without additional support.

20170612_144155.jpg

I admit, the rock filled planter and wood splits used as weights look pretty ghetto, my other piles use discarded 3'-6' lengths of 2"x6" Trex decking to weight the center of the panels against wind which looks neat and clean and is easy to handle.

Benefits:
Allows single row stacking for quick drying
Sun hitting the translucent panels creates warmth and air movement to aid drying
Overhang on each side helps force breezes through the stack to accelerate drying
Fiberglass lasts longer than plywood (around here 20+ years vs. 3-4years before delamination)
Doesn't edge drip and splash bottom of pile with water/mud
Looks better than plywood or tarps
Easier to handle than plywood or tarps

I use steel t-posts at the ends. If you sledgehammer them in angled slightly outward, the channeled water will clear the bottom of the pile. These can handle a snow load but only if properly supported near each end. Most of my piles are long so they use at least two over-lapping panels (like shingles with the waves interlocking. I slide the panels closer together to reduce end overhang if expecting snow.

Lowes carries them in 26" widths (which overhangs my 16"-18" splits the perfect amount on both sides) and 8' and 12' lengths. I like the 12 footers but have a few 8 footers for added versatility. They come in two weights, I like the extra stiffness of the heavier ones for snow loads. Don't cheap out and get the flimsy polycarbonate ones! The good ones are $22 for the stiff 8' and $32 for the stiff 12'. They will last for years with minimal care. And they do help your wood dry in record time.

Reactions: Soundchasm
It would seem that once you have the ground prepared and the footings ready, there wouldn't be much savings in time or labor to use mostly pre-built vs. just framing it up and slapping a roof on it.

Here in the rainforest in the rainy PNW, sheds need to be really well vented and, even then, they slow down the drying process because the wood is stacked in a rectangle instead of a line.

I've found the translucent fiberglass roofing panels to be a quick and easy solution that lends itself to really fast drying because the wavy tops channel the water to the end of the stack which keeps the lower part of the stack from becoming wet from dripping and splashing water. Around here, Lowes caries translucent fiberglass while Home Depot only has the poly ones which are too droopy without additional support.

View attachment 198062

I admit, the rock filled planter and wood splits used as weights look pretty ghetto, my other piles use discarded 3'-6' lengths of 2"x6" Trex decking to weight the center of the panels against wind which looks neat and clean and is easy to handle.

Benefits:
Sun hitting the translucent panels creates warmth and air movement to aid drying
Overhang on each side helps force breezes through the stack to accelerate drying
Fiberglass lasts longer than plywood (around here 20+ years vs. 3-4years before delamination)

I use steel t-posts at the ends. If you sledgehammer them in angled slightly outward, the channeled water will clear the bottom of the pile. These can handle a snow load but only if properly supported near each end. Most of my piles are long so they use at least two over-lapping panels (like shingles with the waves interlocking. I slide the panels closer together to reduce end overhang if expecting snow.

Lowes carries them in 26" widths (which overhangs my 16"-18" splits the perfect amount on both sides) and 8' and 12' lengths. I like the 12 footers but have a few 8 footers for added versatility. They come in two weights, I like the extra stiffness of the heavier ones for snow loads. Don't cheap out and get the flimsy polycarbonate ones! The good ones are $22 for the stiff 8' and $32 for the stiff 12'. They will last for years with minimal care. And they do help your wood dry in record time.

Thanks for the detailed information. I'm currently using scrap plywood, but I know it will need to be replaced sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 198062

Benefits:

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I love the clear corrugated roofing. I'll post some pictures when i decide on a concept.

What panels do they have besides the polycarb?

What panels do they have besides the polycarb?

They are old school fiberglass, like the roofing panels before poly was available. A bit thicker and a bit stiffer. The fiberglass ones come in two thicknesses, the thicker ones are worth it for the stiffness. If you live in an area without snow you might be fine with the thinner ones.

Reactions: weatherguy
They are old school fiberglass, like the roofing panels before poly was available. A bit thicker and a bit stiffer. The fiberglass ones come in two thicknesses, the thicker ones are worth it for the stiffness. If you live in an area without snow you might be fine with the thinner ones.
I live in a heavy snow area so interested in the thick ones, thanks for the info.

Nice. I would have run the roof joist 2x4's with the 2x4's standing up rather than laying down (for extra strength under a snow load) but that'll probably handle whatever NJ can throw at it because it's only 4'.
Thank you, being an Engineer I should have known better but was trying to give myself more play with screwing in the roof pannels.

Woodey, thanks for explaining your setup. Mine stacks are log double row. I've been looking for a 4' wide hard top. For years I been using tarps on top of wood pitched frames.