Wood shed pressure treated or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not arguing with this, but there are an awful lot of 80-150 year old barns around these parts that suggest that it's not necessary if you know what you are doing.
Decay resistance of old growth pine and fir is different than newer second growth. Old building renovations seem to take that into account when preserving the existing structures true to form. What else would we need to know to do it right. And is it worth the time to do all those things vs just using treated.

When I built my shed I used pressure treated 2x6' for my bottom frame, treated deck boards for the floor and pressure treated 4x4 posts to support the roof, everything else was not treated.

PT for the bottom framework but local pine for the rest. Coming on ten years old with no issues.

Attachments

• 20181212_152602.jpg
    20181212_152602.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: kennyp2339
Hehheh . . . folks are responding to a post made over 4 years ago. I assume by now the woodshed was built.

I built a woodshed the same size as yours. 8 x 12 feet.

eh71fpom.jpg

The subfloor and floor are pressure treated. My woodshed goes against the prevailing wisdom on this forum. I keep the door closed and there is no ventilation.
Heat builds up in the wood shed. As you can see the floor is at least 16 inches off the ground.
Water vapor is released from the wood, and goes through the walls and floor.

This woodshed works great. I am getting hickory to 17 percent moisture in 8 months.

You would be surprised how much wood an 8 x 12 woodshed holds.