Wood shed ventilation question, i.e.ventilated steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boiler74

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Hi all,

I am in the process of designing, in my head, a wood shed. I have reclaimed telephone poles I'm going to put to use. I have been contemplating the exterior of the shed for some time. I currently have an 8x12 shed that I'm going to have to put steel on because the critter keep trying to get into it. Scratches everywhere. So that got me thinking about a wood shed. I've read threads on here about coons and possums making their homes on the tops of the stacks, crapping on everything. So I am considering putting ventilated doors on my shed to keep that from happening. So, has anyone ever seen or heard of someone creating ventilated steel sides and a door for a shed. Imagine a small pole barn with steel sides and a door, all perforated. I would think that you could stack the steel used for the job all in one or two stacks and drill all the holes at once. Say 1/2" holes all over. Yes, it would take time, but would that provide enough ventilation for a wood shed? Wouldn't keep bugs out, but the big critters would have a heck of a time getting in.

Thanks for looking!

Josh

We have plenty of critters running around here but I've never had a problem with them in my shed or my stacks. Maybe it's because we have dogs that run loose? I guess the holes would do the trick as long as the wood was dry before going into the shed.

Leave it mostly open to the wind. Critters won't nest where they aren't secure.

You may be trying to fight Mother Nature.
Would be almost impossible to build a wood shed ventilated enough but keep small critters out.

Might work with enough effort.
But it is a wood shed.

Mine has open sides, only critters I had was bees :)

I may get a chipmunk or mouse . . . but have never found any big critters or evidence of larger critters living in my woodshed.

Beware of the wood sheds. They are very nice indeed but it is difficult to dry wood in the shed. That is why most of us dry the wood outdoors then move enough for the winter inside at the start of the heating season.

I'll add with this, the only problem we've ever had is the occasional woodchuck but they are easy to trap or shoot.

I have thought about a woodshed built like we used to build some corn cribs. We'd cut about 12" diameter poles in the woods, mostly white ash and plant them about 3' into the ground. Each about 8 or 10' apart. The floor would be about 3' up off the ground and then we'd line the thing with snow fence. That got good air circulation to the corn and critters were never a problem for us. Of course, part of that could have been compliments of the dogs too. But this made a very cheap corn crib that would last many years. Something like that would also work for a wood shed. And yes, we did put a roof over it too.

I have a 20 ft shelter logic that houses 5 cord of red oak. The ends are facing east west, there are tarps on the ground under the pallets. This has seasoned the oak just as fast or faster than outside. It is in full sun and gets real warm in there, the wind also rips right thru it. I have seen no signs of critters either. Although the neighbors cat likes to hang out on my outside stacks.

I plan to let the wood be outside for a year or so before going into the shed. I was just pondering my options. Maybe I'll K.I.S.S. and leave it open. Just some poles and a roof.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I plan to let the wood be outside for a year or so before going into the shed. I was just pondering my options. Maybe I'll K.I.S.S. and leave it open. Just some poles and a roof.

That's what I would do. I haven't had much of a problem with anything in the stacks and the more air flow the better.

IMG_0955.jpg I built two 20x12x8 sheds with no sides. Its more like a 20x12 roof 8ft off the ground with a 3x12 pitch. My problem prior to - was i would always run out if wood in the house as it was raining/ snowing. The wood on the piles would get just wet enough to be a pain. The thought of moving 12-13 cords of wood to a shelter after drying all summer didnt appeal to me either. So the open shed was the best answer for me. I have used pallets as walls in one and left one open and just stacked the corners neat in the other. I will see if it makes a difference next year. The pallets make it real easy to stack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.