Wood Splitter Hunt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
I've been studying them for a while now and believe the Northern Tool NorthStar 30Ton on sale right now has all the "right stuff" I've been looking for, except a hydraulic oil filter. Is that a big deal? Can it be easily added? I like the horizontal/vertical mode, full length "I" beam construction, front and rear jackstands, robust log dislodger, log cradle on I beam design, ergonomic height when in horizontal mode and especially the Honda GX w/auto idle setting when the ram is retrieved. This unit will have more power than I need but it’s about the best price I can find for a unit with the GX engine, plus the Northern Tool near me does their own maintenance and warranty work. I have no worries about assembly. Thoughts?
I have not used a unit where the wedge moves with the ram. One website slamming the Horz/Vert types say you lose time when jammed into a log because one must do a full retrieval. Whereas the “fixed†wedge with flat ram plate just takes another log to clear the jam. (this is the only type I have used) I don’t see that as much of a problem unless fighting some very stringy wood then you simply retrieve up into the wood stripper. By the way, any thoughts about the 4-way splitter adapter? Thanks

I've been considering the same, yes you could easily add a hydraulic suction side filter/strainer, don't know If I've ever seen pressure side filters on wood spliters usually thats for critical type systems such as steering. Also been looking at Timberwolf line as NT is a little expensive on the shipping.

Oil filter "easily" added?
Easy is more like, if you get one with out, it will I add one?
Yes, Easy enough to do, where the suction hose goes from the tank to the pump, put one somewhere in that line.
Mine threads into the hyd. tank fitting, hose leaves filter housing to the pump suction.
You want the filter to protect the pump ;) + on the no/low pressure side a must.

Next, I've only used my splitter (MTD 25-ton with wedge on ram) for about 3 cords so far, but I've not had a single piece get stuck on the ram. In fact, the wood's usually popped off long before it even gets to the end of the stroke.

Good luck with whatever you do--sounds like what you're looking at's a pretty good deal.

S

bogydave said:
Oil filter "easily" added?
Easy is more like, if you get one with out, it will I add one?
Yes, Easy enough to do, where the suction hose goes from the tank to the pump, put one somewhere in that line.
Mine threads into the hyd. tank fitting, hose leaves filter housing to the pump suction.
You want the filter to protect the pump ;) + on the no/low pressure side a must.
That has been debated here before. There is a risk of causing destructive cavitation in the pump by placing a filter on the intake. Some splitters put a filter on the return line.

Your RIGHT, LL
I screwed that up. On the suction side with hose, would collapse the hose if it wasn't the right type & size.
A plugged filter could cause problems. (Maybe my filter has an internal pressure bypass, I don't know.)
Some engineering & testing should be considered before modifying a new splitters hydraulic system. Warranty issue also.
May not be as "easy" as I first thought.

But mine is from the factory with a filter in place.
Mine is out the tank, hard pipe plumbing, to the filter bracket/housing , filter to the suction side of the pump thru a (looks like 1") reinforced hose,
hose clamped to the suction side of the pump, (pretty short trip) , pump discharge, via a smaller pressure hose, to the control valve.
Speeco 22 ton. Pretty good sized filter & the book says to change it every so many hours. Probably for the reasons you stated.

Thanks, LL

Ah, the pieces that get stuck. In well over 100 cord of wood, I think I've had maybe 3 or 4 pieces like that. It surprised me when it happened but was not a problem. With a couple of them, I started raising the ram and then immediately went back down and they split right then. One or two I did raise to the top and as it hits the bars, the piece popped right off.

So let's say I've split 130 cord of wood. How many times would you run the wedge into the logs? Then only 3 or 4 times in 130 cord (it could very well be much more than that) we had one get stuck. I would not call that a problem at all.

I'm amazed there is no filter as I just assumed all of them would have a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.