Wood Splitter Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
I picked one of these up in January and have since split at least one full cord, mostly elm. I have had good luck with it so far and think it is an excellent piece of equiptment. You can get 10 % off with a little work. Online coupons or in-store charge card. I got the manager to let me come get some ash he had taken down last fall. Do not follow quick start guide! Read full instructions! There are skipped steps that are very important.

I purchased one of these last week. Used it on some tough elm which I couldn't split by hand
and it is a fine splitter. Picked this one after looking around and think it is one of the better ones
for the money. It isn't made by Troy but most of the splitters are built by one major company.

This afternoon more use on elm which we are cutting on our lot.
269542659_jRvRU-O.jpg

Got the same kind at Sears 2 years ago. $999.00 but a Briggs engine,not a Honda. BUt I am very satisfied 8 cords split no negative comments.

Just bought it last week for same price! I have split :red: ONE 24" shag bark hickory log :gulp: , and it had no probluem! :coolgrin:

A good question might be, "what makes this splitter better than the 999$ one?" Have you looked at the Harbor Freight splitter? Good reviews here for that one. Not all Honda engines are created equal, there are the consumer grade and then the industrial grade that Honda made its reputation on.

A good question might be, “what makes this splitter better than the 999$ one?”

Agree, good question.

I've had the Huskee 6 HP, 22 ton B&S;engine for 6 years now. (Tractor Supply). It's done a fine job, split anything. I did need to have the carb worked on this year. I don't know what the current price is.

One thing I see wrong with the splitter pictured here is the fenders. Unless they are really heavy, or they are removed, they will probably get bent up with falling splits.

Ken

Carl, I think that one is a Yard Machine correct? As you can tell, I ahve one too. Mine is an older 31 ton and it is great! Auto return is a must have. I have heard that the Troy Builts are decent. Tractor Supply sells the Husky splitters that are very well built and you can get a 22 ton for under $1000.

I see that this splitter can be used either vertical or horizontal. Good! Never buy a splitter that splits only in the horizontal position. Never made a lick of sense to me why someone would want to have to pick up each and every log to split it. Stand that thing up and you'll have much, much less work and can split for hours without even breaking a sweat. btw, mine is was bought at Quality Farm & Fleet, who was bought out by Tractor Supply and is a 20 ton.

One thing I don't like about the changes they have made is such a small plate where you set the log to split. Other than that, they are great.

I think mine is a 1990's vintage. I dont even think they make the 31 ton anymore. It is pretty heavy duty..I bought it off a buddy who had purchased a new Timberwolf for $350 so I cant complain.

I have the 21 ton with a 6 hp Briggs on it. It is a Yard Machines as well.

The way I read things, all/most of Troy Bilt's stuff is made by Yard Machines any way. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've had my splitter for almost 5 years now with no trouble what-so-ever. I love it.

The only thing that I would tell some one to watch for is to be sure and go over and tighten every bolt on the machine before firing for the first time. Don't get me wrong, I didn't fire it up and the engine fall off or any thing, but the log supports that came on the side of mine appeared tight, but after about an hour of splitting, I found out really quick that the bolts were not the tightest when an 18" round came off of that thing and landed on my toe. Praise be for steel toe boots!!!

Just my $.02 worth.

Hey CT-Mike besides what everyone else said my only recommendation is no matter what splitter you get...make sure it has a detent valve...or automatic return. Well I'm off to cut some rounds. later...

yup, that is correct. Vertical split and auto return..

Think I may have confused some. The splitter I purchased is the Troy one with a honda engine. Even though
it has the Troy name on it they don't make them. Someone else does. As others have mentioned, most places
have almost the identical splitter with differing engines and ram force. The man at Home depot
told me that MTF (I think) made 90 percent of wood splitters and sold them with diffferent names on them. With
this fact, one can choose whatever place they like to purchase one and it will more than likely be made by this
company. I did pay $1327.00 for this one at Lowes because it had a few extras the $999.00 didn't. I also got no
interest or payments for 12 months which I liked also.

Whatever splitter one buys I think they will be happy with it. Choose one for the type of use you intend to give it
and it should last for years.

Yes, the fenders are plastic which I have no problem with. Should be cheap to replace when they break or just leave off
if one prefers.

Good Splitting to all even if they use an old fashioned maul as I did for years.

There's another option...no splitter at all.

When I moved here to Central Oregon last August, and was intent on heating exclusively with wood, I envisioned myself buying a hydraulic splitter and then having rounds delivered and spending part of my spring & summer every year splitting and stacking.

Well, having burned through a season now, on CSD I bought last fall (nearly 7 cords of softwood), I'm re-thinking my thinking. I can buy CSD for about $165 - $175/cord. I can buy rounds of the same wood delivered for about $150/cord. Even when I buy the CSD, I find there's plenty of additional hand splitting to do to keep me busy (love my Fiskars axes), as well as all the stacking, kindling splitting, hauling, burning, and stove tending/ash removal. I've been burning in two stoves in separate buildings (house & workshop), wife & I both retired, so here pretty much all day every day. At times it's gotten to be quite a chore. I enjoy it, but I'm turning 60 this year, so realistically, I'm not going to go out into the woods felling, limbing, bucking, splitting and hauling...that's fer sure. The point is, that for me, the difference between buying rounds and having my own splitter, or buying wood someone else has taken the time to split means about a ten-year amortization time on the cost of a decent splitter...not even taking into account the cost of fuel, maintenance, repair, storage, etc. Hell, by that time, I might be fuel myself.

It all depends on your situation, I guess. If I lived on a lot of acreage and had easy acess to plenty of wood that needed processing (and I were a younger man...I ain't as good as I once was), I'd probably have a splitter. I'm a Mechanical Engineer...I love machines, and would love to have a splitter...but the economics of it just don't make sense in my situation. Rick

I have a 27 ton Honda, and a 5 ton DR splitter. I will tell you this, since I have had the DR splitter, I haven't once used the Honda. The DR splits 95% of what I was splitting with the Honda, with infinitely less fuss, and plus, it stores vertically in a fraction of the space the Honda does. That said, the Honda will split anything... I do mean anything. Large knotted stumps, no problem. Gnarley tree sections with protruding branches that take 2 people to get on the splitter... no problem! (The DR won't do those...)

Just some information, for what it's worth.

-- Mike

I have the same 27 ton splitter with the honda engine. I got it at Lowe's "re-conditioned" for $990 full warranty 2 seasons ago. What was nice was that all I did was pull p hitch it up and drive away. I would keep a look out for those deals and jump on it if it looks good. I split at least 12 cords and loaned it out for another 12.

You won't be dissappointed. Nothing I tries to split was refused.

When I was buying my 12 lb. Maul, the checkout genius said "...we have wood splitters on sale over there!" I looked at my $18 Maul and said "I'm the wood splitter here".

It's hard work, but it's cheaper than going to the gym.

When is this getting bumped over to "The Gear" moderator(s)? :zip:

Move away..But for now, its still here. yes, it all depends on each individuals situiation. For instance, Mike likes the DR spliiter, which I think is electric. Where I split my wood, I have no access to power, therefore it wouldnt work for me. For me, the time savings is the #1 factor that I have a splitter. Sicne i get log length, I have to buck it then split it then stack it. The splitter is just way faster than doing it by hand, plus the wife gets to help. She runs the ram (Mine has auto return though) which saves me alot of time also

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

My buddy and I just chipped in to buy a used Super Split NON-Hydraulic splitter for $600 ($300) each. The first day we had it I split a full cord in 90 min. these are expensive new but if you can find a used one what a great machine. Very fast 4 sec. cycle time and very i found a video on you tube of the same brand splitter we got this one is newer the ours but the speed is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InAslSkQDa8&feature=related

Wow, that looks nice, I especially like the fixed wedge and the way it pushes the splits off the end of the table. And the table itself looks very useful.

How does it work, direct drive from the engine? The U-Tube video didn't sound like the engine ever labored at all. What happens when it runs into a crotch or something really difficult? Does the engine stall?

Ken

not much info o the troy site. what size pump is it?
My only flag would be the 19 seconds, that seems really slow. Can you upgrade models for engine and pump size?

Status
Not open for further replies.